Author Topic: Mulberry for bow wood  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Muskyman

Mulberry for bow wood
« on: June 07, 2023, 06:44:59 pm »
Talking with a buddy who mentioned he has a mulberry tree in his backyard. Said that I could take a few limbs.
If I remember right it makes a good bow wood.
Anyone love it, hate it..
I’d be interested in hearing opinions.

Thanks

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Mulberry for bow wood
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 08:45:27 pm »
Makes an excellent bow, light and snappy. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 10:11:05 pm »
Plenty of guys on here have made bows from mulberry. From memory, they made them like an osage bow, just 1/8"-1/4" more width at the widest part of the limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:20:11 pm »
Mulberry makes a very good bow. Do it as Hamish suggests and you should be good to go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 10:14:38 am »
I've only used red with no issues, I would suggest tempering it. No comment on white other than guys will tell you the whites are no bueno'.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 09:50:57 pm »
I had some mulberry staves and they were excellent. These staves were a pain in the kiester because they were riddled with pin knots. It was a struggle to chase a ring around knots, but the bows were great and I know one is 12 years old and still shooting for the owner.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 10:40:26 am »
I’m going to stop by my buddies house and see what it looks like. If there’s a couple good looking limbs I’ll harvest them and add them to my stash.
Getting some rain today. First time in a long time. Hope they get some in Canada and it helps with the fires.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 11:39:37 pm »
This is good to hear...I know where I can get some.  Before this thread, all I knew about Mulberry is that an 8 month old boy that crawls unattended under one when its dropping fruit will have a purple face and an epic case of the shits for three unrelenting days.  Its payback time for that tree next time I'm in Indiana.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 10:20:12 am »
Mulberries typically grow along fence and hedge rows where birds poop the seeds after eating the fruit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC