Author Topic: Adhesive over shellac  (Read 3593 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Adhesive over shellac
« on: June 09, 2023, 09:47:52 pm »
I got some advice from a professional furniture conservator and restorer from Turin italy. He states there is very little in this world that will bond with natural shellac due to the natural waxes. He suggested I seek out a de-waxed shellac.

I contacted the pro staff at Zinsser/MinWax. They make a chemically de-waxed shellac called Seal Coat. It binds to regular shellac easily. I blew $20 on a quart and it laid up nicely over the prior 8 coats forming a lovely gloss finish.

Ten days of making sure it was cured waiting for new feathers and adhesives from 3Rivers. First, I tried their nitrocellulose fletching glue because part of the solvent is alcohol and I thought it would help with the chemical bond.

Abject failure. Utterly ruined the Seal Coat and amber shellac. Fletching lifted right up.

Went to Fletch-Tite Platinum and again, no bonding. I even waited 15 minutes for what is listed as a 5 minute set.

Other fine woodworking experts again advised you CANNOT recoat shellac with polyurethane, but you can get the poly to bind if it is a de-waxed shellac. I know that is true because I tried it on a bow and the poly flaked off a few months later. I think that's my next attempt at saving this set of shafts.

Anyone else have advice to offer a frustrated Fletcher?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Adhesive over shellac
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 11:12:07 am »
John, when I use shellac or pine pitch varnish on shafts I spray satin poly over the fletching area so the fletching will adhere. I usually use  fletch tape but also wrap the forward and rear of the fletching with sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 09:08:12 pm »
Good to know about the shellac, I've also noticed lengthened drying times on shafts that are coated with water based polyurethane coating. Its a little frustrating when trying to glue the fletching's by hand. Wrapping the front and rear is becoming more and more enticing  :)
Offgrid mtn living

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 07:19:28 pm »
I am now using polycrylic, a water based finish similar to the oil based polyurathane. It dried quicker and when cut with water 50/50 is great for use in a dipping tube.

So far, I have had excellent luck with this finish accepting Fletch-Tite Platinum, 3Rivers nitrocellulose , and fletching tape. Big thanks to Knoll (Michael Hill) for this tip.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.