Author Topic: Character hickory bow “tiger”  (Read 2293 times)

Offline superdav95

Character hickory bow “tiger”
« on: June 15, 2023, 05:02:01 pm »
This bow turned out ok despite it being a fairly twisted wonky piece of wood.  I did my best to clamp out most of the prop twist and bends.  There were some knots on the belly side that still remained to some degree.  Tillering was interesting to say the least.  I was initially concerned if this bow would explode with the remaining knots.  The heat treatment was done at the same time as other bows as well at same time.  It was heat treated for about 3 hours over a bed of hot coals.  It was floor tillered mostly and was thinner then the others being baked and it seemed to be cooked a little darker of a cook.  It held this form shape and I was worried about the reflex shape to start with but it retained most of it in the end and didn’t blow up either.  The string alignment is ok. The string didn’t end up center of handle which would have been ideal. I cut the shelf pretty deep too but the string did end up favouring the shelf side more then I liked.  As a result it shoots like a center shot bow.   The tip alignment was good but the snaky shape of the limbs and the bend at the handle pushing the string over to the shelf side.  This bow came in at around 48lbs at 28”.  It’s speed was 185fps at 9.58gpp.  I kept on eye on this one as you could imagine as the roast on this one ended up very dark as can be seen in pics.  It holds it reflex and didn’t show any signs of Chrystalling  or fracture signs. So far so good.  It’s got about 200 arrows thru it.   The stain on the back was kind of an accident actually.  I was initially going for something different but ended up with this tiger pattern.  I decided to keep it and sealed it up anyway.  I tried a leather lace wrap handle on this bow.  It turned out ok I think.  I will likley keep this one and not send it out.  I’ll just enjoy it I guess and keep shooting it and keep an eye on.  Thanks for looking.  Sorry I forgot to have a full draw pic done. My wife is out and will post one when she gets back.  Cheers. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:14:55 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Character history bow “tiger”
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 05:03:28 pm »
More pics…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Character history bow “tiger”
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 05:05:45 pm »
Couple more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Character hickory bow “tiger”
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 06:02:23 pm »
WOW! That bow looks great and has me thinking about making a hickory bow again... :)  The back is very cool and I really like the profile.  It looks narrow for a hickory bow.  I'll have to bother you later for the heat treat procedure and such if I can't figure it out for myself.  Great job!   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 06:41:00 pm »
WOW! That bow looks great and has me thinking about making a hickory bow again... :)  The back is very cool and I really like the profile.  It looks narrow for a hickory bow.  I'll have to bother you later for the heat treat procedure and such if I can't figure it out for myself.  Great job!   :OK

Thanks!   Anytime bob.  Let me know when you start. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline airkah

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 07:25:02 pm »
Really nice bow! It looks incredibly quick! How long is it? What is the unbraced profile like?

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 07:55:57 pm »
Nice work Dave. I like that bow. Cool bow all the way around.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 08:27:12 pm »
Thats awesome.  I love that tiger stripe look on the back, how did you accidentally get that?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 10:59:36 pm »
Really nice bow! It looks incredibly quick! How long is it? What is the unbraced profile like?

Many thanks Airkah!    Very kind.  I’ll post a couple pics of the reflexed profile.  I’ll repost couple more with daylight tomorrow.  It’s holds about just around 4” give or take.  It is 68.5” long and 1 3/8” at widest point.  Tips very narrow to reduce as much weight as possible.  Every time I shoot this thing I half expect it will blow up but so far so good. It’s mass is just under 600grams. 
Thanks for looking. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 11:00:41 pm »
Nice work Dave. I like that bow. Cool bow all the way around.

Thanks mike! 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 11:10:57 pm »
Thats awesome.  I love that tiger stripe look on the back, how did you accidentally get that?

Thanks Aaron.   Ya I was trying to get the opposite of this effect and have the dark dye down in the low spots of the bow but got the reverse I then tried to rub it off and start over but liked the effect it had left so I went with it.  The toasted Color of the back is left over from the cook as it was a darker roast then usual.  I used leather dye and applied it with a rag and rubbed it hitting the high points.   Thanks for checking it out. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline airkah

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 12:51:31 am »

Many thanks Airkah!    Very kind.  I’ll post a couple pics of the reflexed profile.  I’ll repost couple more with daylight tomorrow.  It’s holds about just around 4” give or take.  It is 68.5” long and 1 3/8” at widest point.  Tips very narrow to reduce as much weight as possible.  Every time I shoot this thing I half expect it will blow up but so far so good. It’s mass is just under 600grams. 
Thanks for looking.

Absolutely brilliant. I'm confident if I tried to pull that design off it would blow up lol.

You really have a talent for these high performance bows.

Offline M2A

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 07:50:52 am »
Real nice looking unstrung limb profile especially with it being as narrow as it is. Great looking piece of work.
Mike     

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2023, 09:25:52 am »

Thanks for looking.

Absolutely brilliant. I'm confident if I tried to pull that design off it would blow up lol.

You really have a talent for these high performance bows.

Thanks again

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2023, 09:27:56 am »
Real nice looking unstrung limb profile especially with it being as narrow as it is. Great looking piece of work.
Mike   

Thanks mike!  It was a wonky narrow piece of wood but it survived. 

superdav95@gmail.com