Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Piddler

Feathers
« on: June 23, 2023, 07:48:30 pm »
Do any of you have a preference of stripping feathers vs grinding.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 09:34:40 pm »
Hi Piddler, what is your end goal for your fletching?  For me, if I am going to cut feathers with the chopper, then grinding gives me the best result.  But if not, then I like to just strip the feathers from the quill.  That said, I hate grinding/sanding feathers, it's just a stinky messy job.  I've come to like a 2 fletch with no grinding necessary, or a 3 fletch with stripped feathers and cut to shape with scissors.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 10:41:53 pm »
I usually grind feathers.I have nothing against stripping I just prefer to grind.  I use a burner to shape the fletching and it works fine with stripped and ground feather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Piddler

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 06:42:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Aaron, End goal is just plain three fletch. Just curious if anyone had a significant preference one way or another. I've never tried to chop a stripped feather and stripped a few secondary's yesterday just for a little practice. It made me wonder how they would work in the chopper. I have a feather grinder and choppers. Works well for me. Usually fine sand them a bit when done.
Pat. I have choppers and don't have a burner.
Always try to see what other people do and why. Part of the learning curve as well as just plain curiosity.
Thanks,
Piddler

"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 09:02:51 pm »
I usually slice with a sharp new utility knife, then I use sand paper to fine tune them. I've never had very good success with stripping. I use the same utility knife with a straight edge to shape the feather.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 07:42:20 pm »
One of the tricks I learned with stripping feathers that cut down drastically on the ruined feathers is to steam the feathers first. I think they get too dry here and by running the shaft through a nice strong stream of steam seems to rehydrate the feathers. I get far, far better results with this method.

People told me years ago that stripped feathers are weaker because they no longer have the central shaft of the feather. Well, no. They don't. But they DO gain the shaft of the arrow to make up for it!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 05:32:12 pm »
JW thats a great tip! I will have to try stripping again, and try that method  :OK
Offgrid mtn living

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 08:55:08 pm »
I strip mine, then trim the bottom with embroidery scissors if needed.  I stick them on the arrow full-height then trim them with sharp scissors.

Thanks for the tip, JW--I will definitely try that next time, too.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour