Author Topic: A successful 2 piece take down yew bow!  (Read 3802 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: A failed 2 piece take down yew bow.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2023, 02:07:51 pm »
Quick update on this take down.  I eventually got it apart but not without drastic measures!   I had tried everything suggested and then some.  Shot it a bunch more and no budge.  I filed away the top part of the fg socket to expose the tenon.  This allowed me to pry open a bit to get it loose.  The mold release agent I used didn’t seem like it did anything.  I’ve used this stuff with good results before so only thing I can think of is that this yew wood being softer and more pourus maybe the cause and it absorbed much of the spray release. I usually put on 4-5 coats letting each one dry well.  I’m thinking with harder woods it doesn’t get absorbed so much and works as it should.  This time around I’m going to heat up the tenon a bit and apply some tung oil and wipe it down good.  Then let it dry and spray the heck out of it with my mold release and hope for the best.  The partial rewrap should go well today and let it dry over night.  Fingers crossed.  🤞
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2023, 02:26:58 pm »
I'm glad that you got it apart, but it's sad that it's not the way you wanted it to come apart.  It looks stuck to the front of the tenon?  I used simple wax on the entire tenon when I did it and nothing ever stuck to it.  Good luck!
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline superdav95

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2023, 03:45:47 pm »
So I took your advise and waxed it too. I coated it with tung oil then waxed then sprayed with the mild release.  If this thing sticks this time it’s gonna stay a one piece.   Here’s the wrap. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2023, 04:47:29 pm »
My fingers are crossed Dave...There is a lot of pressure on those joints but they sure work great.   :OK

Offline Hamish

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2023, 08:21:19 pm »
Dave, this is going to work!!! I admire your dedication, to this task.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2023, 09:13:39 pm »
That sure is a beautiful bow! I hope you manage to get the take down joint to work out. Cant wait to see it all finished!
Offgrid mtn living

Offline superdav95

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2023, 03:07:29 pm »
Success!!!  It worked and has a nice tight fit.  Now I just got to shape up the handle a bit and put leather wrap on er.  A light sanding and burnish of the belly too with some tung oil to call it done.   Thanks for looking. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2023, 03:22:50 pm »
Congrats Dave!  It looks like you made a sleeve with alignment grooves...I have a bow with those.  Great job!  :OK

Offline superdav95

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2023, 03:49:21 pm »
Congrats Dave!  It looks like you made a sleeve with alignment grooves...I have a bow with those.  Great job!  :OK

Thanks bob.  Ya I figured it might be a good idea with this one as the wood was so soft as well for a tighter fit.  I will not likley do another take down in yew moving forward however.  It’s been a challenge for sure.  That being said now that I’ve done it I may eat my words.  A better take down option for yew might be the metal and brass sleeve system perhaps.  I may have to try one down the road maybe. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: A successful 2 piece take down yew bow!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2023, 06:17:21 pm »
So quick update on this build.   I got it shaped up and covered with a leather wrap I was saving for this bow.  All seemed to go well.  Put a good coat of tung oil on it and burned in the string loop notches.  The socket and tenon is good and tight.  I’d rather this then a loose fit.  I put little wax on it too.  The Colors of the yew really pop with the oil rubbed in.  The bottom limb which was the replacement was from a different tree is slightly darker then the top.  Thanks for looking and following along on this one. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2023, 06:19:34 pm »
Some more pics…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2023, 06:25:30 pm »
Wow very nice, Dave!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2023, 07:21:34 pm »
WOW!  :OK  The bow looks great....all of it...the sleeve, leather work, and finish.  I know you are proud of it.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2023, 07:54:44 pm »
Glad it worked out for you, looks like it turned out great. 

Maybe a stupid question, but what's the advantage of burning in the nocks?  Does it harden them? 

Offline Hamish

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2023, 09:12:40 pm »
A great result Dave. Your persistence(and skill) paid off. An epic tale of misery and woe, with a story book ending. I feel elated for you.