Author Topic: Traveling with a handgun?  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Muskyman

Traveling with a handgun?
« on: July 08, 2023, 08:51:30 pm »
Going to Glacier National Park the end of September. I’m from Ohio and never seen a grizzly bear. Hopefully I will while there but, under the right circumstances. We’ll be hiking and on trails and yes I’ll have bear spray but would feel better if I had my 45 long colt with me for a last line of defense.

Now my question. How much trouble is it to fly my 45 out there.
I know I have to have a TSA approved case with 2 locks with a 4 digit code.
Do you just check your gun with baggage, or is there something else needed to get it on the plane?

Would appreciate it if anyone has been through this to help me with some information about the how to on doing this so it could possibly be hassle free.

Thanks Mike

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Traveling with a handgun?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 10:24:15 pm »
Not sure about flying with it, but I know a lot of people will mail guns to themselves at their destination.  It's apparently legal to mail your own gun to yourself, just not to anyone else.  Guys that travel for hunts do this and mail to the lodge they are gonna be at.  Might be easier that dealing with one via plane.

BTW, I'd be packing heat too in grizzly country.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 09:37:12 am »
I don't know for a fact but I think if your handgun is in an approved gun carrier and is declared it shouldn't be a problem.
 Right after Sept. 11 friends of mine traveled to Montana for a hunt with their deer rifles. The rifles were declared and in an approved gun case, locked and sent through with their luggage with no problems.
 The best thing to do is go on the TSA website for instructions on flying with a firearm. You might also check with Montana G&F about carrying while there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 11:07:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
That’s pretty much what I did Pat, got on TSA’ site looking for info. Also watched some videos that had some good advice as well.
Here’s what I found out, pretty much anyway.. these might not hold 100% true but is probably what I’ll do.

Need a hard case with two 4 digit combinations locks for your gun case. The TSA locks you can buy allows them to access your firearm with a key they have that fits TSA locks. Gun has to be unloaded in the case. You can have ammo in the case but it’s best if it’s in the original box it came in. It just can’t be loose in the case or in a baggie, or something along those lines. One of the videos I watched said to put your name and cell number on tape on the outside of the gun case so they can contact you if they have some kind of a problem with your gun.
Has to be in your checked luggage and you need to declare it when you check your luggage. Your checked luggage needs a TSA lock on it as well so they can access your gun case in your luggage.
I might be missing something but that’s what I recall just sitting here.

Amen Aaron,
Taking a box of these and my 3 screw Blackhawk just for piece of mind.

DANGEROUS GAME HEAVY 45 COLT +P - 300gr. Mono-Metal (1,300 fps / ME 1,101 ft lbs) - 20

Happen to stumble across momma bear and her babies and pepper spray ain’t gonna get it if she decides you’re a threat. Don’t know if I could stop her with my 45 or not but, maybe I could change her mind. Pretty confident I won’t need it but will feel better with it on my hip.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 11:19:34 pm by Muskyman »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 10:21:34 am »
Someone suggested to me that when traveling to griz country file the front sight off of your handgun so when the bear crams it up your butt it won't hurt so bad.   (A)  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 05:46:23 pm »
That’s funny but I’m sure there’s a certain amount of truth to it. That said I’m betting that besides their rifle or shotgun a big game guide carries a big bore pistol.  I’d rather have a riot gun filled with slugs but I don’t have one. I’m not thinking it’s going to drop one in its tracks but it might change its mind, maybe.  There are lots of documented cases where a pistol has saved people’s lives. What really made my decision to take it was a comment I read on a website where a guy was talking about how he would feel watching a bear mauling his child and no weapon to do anything about it with.  As I always say, it’s better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it 😁

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 06:34:08 pm »
If I was going to grizzly country I'd be packing too. Better safe than sorry.  :OK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 07:20:30 am »
No Griz where I go but a few Black bears they say, :-\ I do carry my pocket gun but I have it all the time if I have my pants on, ;) it would probably just make a bear mad but dose make a lot of noise, ;D I am driving so no problem with getting it there. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 10:41:14 am »
Here is a dumb question from a Canuck. Is it legal to carry in the national park? Up here no firearms are allowed in the parks so you're stuck with bear spray.

Mark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 11:16:30 am »
Not sure Mark but never been checked except for the court house so I carry one everywhere else. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 04:40:32 pm »
Mmattlock

Possession of Firearms in National Park Units

In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

Also here is the Montana concealed carry law

Last updated January 5, 2023 . Beginning February 2021, Montana no longer requires a permit to carry a concealed weapon in public. Now, the state allows anyone who can legally possess a firearm to carry carry one in public, without a background check.

Same as in Ohio. I actually have a concealed carry permit so I should be good in most states.

You can’t take your firearm into the ranger station, visitors center and some other places.
Also your not allowed to discharge your firearm in the park. If you do you will end up in court and will have to have a good attorney. I read a story about a guy who fired his pistol,  he said stop a bear charge. From what I remember he didn’t shoot the bear and he was able to scare it off. This is the reason I really did a lot of sole searching before I made my decision to take my pistol. It’s not like these bears are mauling people left and right but everyone says carry bear spray, they even sell it at the visitor centers at glacier park. It’s like $50 bucks a can. And yes I’ll have the spray along with some others in my group.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:03:55 pm by Muskyman »

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 10:50:46 am »
In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

Sounds like you're go to go then.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 10:59:10 am by mmattockx »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 04:11:36 pm »
 I've flown twice with a shotgun. I found it really easier with a firearm. Before I could check my luggage in an attendant noticed the gun case and took me to the front of the line both times. Got to check in like a VIP after showing them it wasn't loaded. Thats a plus in Orlando International Airport full of tourist.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 03:06:54 pm »
Mine will be in my luggage packed away but I hope it goes well. Hate to get into a situation where I had to miss my flight. If someone was dropping us off I could just let them take it back home.. I’d hate to lose my old 3 screw 45. I guess I’d have to drive it home and get a later flight.
I’ve checked TSA’s website and it seems pretty straightforward. Also going to contact the airline and talk with them and get their information on what to do to comply with their rules..

Offline SDBurntStick

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 03:13:49 pm »
Went last year with my wife and boys and did all sorts of hikes in the park.  We only carried bear spray and most of the trails have plenty of people on them.  Not to say a gun wouldn't be great if you had an encounter, but honestly, we never saw a bear the whole time there.  I felt comfortable with carrying bear spray alone.