Author Topic: Pronghorn horn  (Read 5201 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Pronghorn horn
« on: July 19, 2023, 07:17:35 pm »
Anybody ever tried making handle scales, overlays, etc. from pronghorn horn?  I'm guessing it wouldn't work like cow or buff horn, since it's basically compacted hair, but I'm just curious if anybody's tried it and what it was like.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline White Falcon

Re: Pronghorn horn
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 09:38:18 am »
Can't help, but I use one for a lantern holder.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 09:49:27 am »
I don't know why you can't use pronghorn horns for scales and overlays. I've never seen one but I imagine it is similar to goat horn in consistency.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 07:42:16 pm »
I have done a couple of small powderhorns from pronghorn sheaths. The secret is to buy a large bottle of cyanoacrylate glue (CA or superglue), and soak it down until such time as it stops absorbing the glue.

It breaks down rapidly in sunlight, I have NEVER found a shed pronghorn sheath when hunting antelope. Also, keep it well above range of a curious dog. They cannot help themselves from chewing them up. Do NOT ask me how I know.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 10:19:19 am »
I have done a couple of small powderhorns from pronghorn sheaths. The secret is to buy a large bottle of cyanoacrylate glue (CA or superglue), and soak it down until such time as it stops absorbing the glue.

It breaks down rapidly in sunlight, I have NEVER found a shed pronghorn sheath when hunting antelope. Also, keep it well above range of a curious dog. They cannot help themselves from chewing them up. Do NOT ask me how I know.

Yeah, I've only found one, and it was all flaked up and in really rough shape.  I suppose that's why they shed them every year.  Do they have the flaky consistency when you cut them up to make things out of them?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 06:31:26 pm »
I've only got one set that Joe York gave me, I looked at them this morning and they do seem to be a little thin for many projects other than maybe as JW said a powder horn, never really noticed that before because these are still on the skull so I slipped one off just to check it out. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 07:55:05 pm »

Yeah, I've only found one, and it was all flaked up and in really rough shape.  I suppose that's why they shed them every year.  Do they have the flaky consistency when you cut them up to make things out of them?

Even fresh they seem to shred like fiberglass that was starved of the correct amount of epoxy.  But, like many different materials, if stabilized, they would work just fine.

For knife scales, I think I would want to soak it in water for a few days before using a fine tooth Japanese pull saw to cut out blanks. I would then press it flat between two boards. Then, after it has dried a week or so, I would pull it out, epoxy it down to a micarta or wood. Once it was bonded to the wood, I would saturate with the CA glue repeatedly before sanding/finishing. But remember, this is all hypothetical...I have not done this and I can not advise you of what the final results may or may not be.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 11:44:13 pm »
Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.  I'll just stick with hanging them on the wall.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 04:32:23 pm »
 I made a yew English longbow a long time ago I used the horn for the tips of the bow.
I've also seen some nice blackpowder priming horns made from them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 11:31:42 pm »

I've also seen some nice blackpowder priming horns made from them.

Huh, is that so?   ;D