Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

Pronghorn horn

(1/2) > >>

WhistlingBadger:
Anybody ever tried making handle scales, overlays, etc. from pronghorn horn?  I'm guessing it wouldn't work like cow or buff horn, since it's basically compacted hair, but I'm just curious if anybody's tried it and what it was like.

White Falcon:
Can't help, but I use one for a lantern holder.

Pat B:
I don't know why you can't use pronghorn horns for scales and overlays. I've never seen one but I imagine it is similar to goat horn in consistency.

JW_Halverson:
I have done a couple of small powderhorns from pronghorn sheaths. The secret is to buy a large bottle of cyanoacrylate glue (CA or superglue), and soak it down until such time as it stops absorbing the glue.

It breaks down rapidly in sunlight, I have NEVER found a shed pronghorn sheath when hunting antelope. Also, keep it well above range of a curious dog. They cannot help themselves from chewing them up. Do NOT ask me how I know.

WhistlingBadger:

--- Quote from: JW_Halverson on July 21, 2023, 07:42:16 pm ---I have done a couple of small powderhorns from pronghorn sheaths. The secret is to buy a large bottle of cyanoacrylate glue (CA or superglue), and soak it down until such time as it stops absorbing the glue.

It breaks down rapidly in sunlight, I have NEVER found a shed pronghorn sheath when hunting antelope. Also, keep it well above range of a curious dog. They cannot help themselves from chewing them up. Do NOT ask me how I know.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've only found one, and it was all flaked up and in really rough shape.  I suppose that's why they shed them every year.  Do they have the flaky consistency when you cut them up to make things out of them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version