Author Topic: Looking for a spine tester  (Read 4865 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Looking for a spine tester
« on: July 24, 2023, 08:03:29 pm »
I would be willing to make up a custom leather muzzleloader shooting pouch, or a pile of accessories such as custom powder measure, vent pick, pan brush, birdsmouth ball bag/ball dispenser, and multilayer padded waxed canvas rifle sock. Possibly even a custom powderhorn (but I don't have the talents for scrimhaw)?

Thanks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Looking for a spine tester
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 08:39:23 am »
As crafty as you are you could probably make a top notch one, from what I have seen over the years they are not that hard to make.

Lots of spine tester making videos on youtube, some I like some I don't.

I have an Adams spine tester that I have probably had for 40 years; I still use it quite often for tuning my arrows to a bow so I don't want to turn it loose. If I remember right mine was over $100 when I bought it, I looked it up and they no longer make it, similar ones made now are (GASP!) over $350. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 06:32:09 pm »
As crafty as you are you could probably make a top notch one, from what I have seen over the years they are not that hard to make.

Lots of spine tester making videos on youtube, some I like some I don't.

I have an Adams spine tester that I have probably had for 40 years; I still use it quite often for tuning my arrows to a bow so I don't want to turn it loose. If I remember right mine was over $100 when I bought it, I looked it up and they no longer make it, similar ones made now are (GASP!) over $350.

I have been looking at blogs, videos, etc and I am willing to build my own. But I do not want the dial gauge type. I like the simple design of the weight moving a needle up and down on a graph. Problem is that every time I click on a link to download or print the arc scale the page is "404 Page Not Found". This is getting annoying.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 08:00:45 pm »
I prefer with a digital caliper. Made a homemade 2 lb weight. Downloaded the amo spine chart printed it off. Total cost of this with caliper maybe 20 bucks

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 08:05:03 pm »
One more

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 08:45:44 am »
When I worked in the power plant there was a big Zerox copier in the office wing, I took the deflection scale off my Adams spine tester and made life sized copies of it to give to friends who wanted to make their own.

I don't have access to a copier now, perhaps someone reading this who has an Adams tester who is still working and has access to a copier could make you a copy. I had a bunch of copies but remember running across them in my file cabinet a few years ago during a clean-up and throwing them out.

Notice all the walnut gizmo blanks in the pictures background. 

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 08:49:17 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 08:56:50 am »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 05:52:28 pm »
I prefer with a digital caliper. Made a homemade 2 lb weight. Downloaded the amo spine chart printed it off. Total cost of this with caliper maybe 20 bucks

That is really clever, must do that myself!!!

FAW

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 09:35:11 am »
JW Old guy here. My Adams tester is available if you're still interested. Sent a pm.