Author Topic: Got careless  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Got careless
« on: September 03, 2023, 01:33:35 pm »
I hate to tell this on myself; I was cutting a bow bending form on my bandsaw, I reached in from behind the blade to pullout a slice that stuck in the blade slot. As I pulled the slice, out it flipped, got caught in the blade and pulled my thumb into the blade. The blade took the tip of my thumb off in the blink of an eye, just the tip, above my fingernail.

When this happens one initially stands there dumbfounded thinking "how could that have happened"? Well, it happened because of carelessness, not paying attention and having done the same thing thousands of times without bad results.

So, the blood was gushing, I took off to the house to the bathroom where I keep all of my supplies for treating injuries like this.
I tore open a packet of blood clotting powder and covered the open flesh, the blood kept coming. Next, I put a band-aid over the wound and cinched it down tight, this plus the clotting powder stopped the bleeding.

Later that evening I took off the initial bandage, cleaned the wound with peroxide, covered it with antibiotic cream and rebandaged it. I didn't feel like a trip to a DR. was necessary.

I have done this before while slicing cucumbers with a mandolin slicer. That time I took off the whole left tip of my pinky finger and part of my fingernail, I did go to the walk-in clinic on that goof-up because I couldn't get the bleeding to stop by any means. They cauterized the wound with a red hot burning giant match head looking device, no numbing first, it was an EXPERIENCE in pain that I wouldn't want to repeat.

I have taken the tips of my fingers and knuckles off a number of times when I got them into a 36-grit belt on my belt sander, not as bad as my current injury but it still took weeks to grow my fingertips back. I suspect this injury will take upward of a month to heal.

Dang, this was my first constructive day out in my shop in months, I was having a blast, the air conditioner was humming and the 95-degree temperature outside didn't matter. I refurbished an old bow that gotten out of tiller, I dropped the poundage to "old man" poundage, and refinished it, it shot like a dream after my overhaul. I had made a bamboo backed osage bow to donate to charity that had been on the wall for a year or so. When I took it down, I noticed the glued-on handle had popped loose on the ends. While I was in the shop, I cut off the old handle and glued on a new piece of osage to make a new handle, I was on a roll.

UPDATE!

A brilliant RN friend said she had badly cut her finger on her mandolin slicer and used Manuka honey to cure the wound. She said the wound healed faster than any other cut she had experienced.

I looked up the stuff and decided to give it a try, it sounded promising. I am sensitive to low PH things like strawberries and lemon juice, they make my tongue sting. I found out that this honey had a low PH as well and was very uncomfortable on my wound so I did treatments of 4 to 6 hours at a time and washed it off when I couldn't take the stinging any more.

Here is where I am at today, 10 days out, remember the whole end of my thumb was gone, the flat place in my thumbnail is where the blade went in. I am a believer.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Got careless
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 04:48:30 pm »
Ouch! I think about things like this all the time while I'm working with power tools. Fortunately I still have all my digits. Hope it heals completely soon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 10:28:37 am »
Sorry to hear of your mishap Eric. Glad to see that it wasn't much worse and that you are healing up nicely.
I once ground about an 1/8 of an inch off the tip of my thumb on a pedestal grinder when the ship pitched instead of rolled.
Not fun...

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 08:15:56 am »
When doing manual labour I always tell myself i have to keep the alert senses high but soon or later I end up in some distraction.
Couple years ago I was cutting wood with a friend. He cut a big branch and the entire landed tree had a spring movement.
My friend slipped and run the tip of the chainsaw over my forearm. There was blood everywhere but luckily after many steches there where no major issues for my arm and hand.
It's likely that my friend suffered more than me. He felt so guilty and sorry for weeks and even at distance of years he keep checking if I'm ok.
I could honestly tell i'd rather hurt myself than other

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 08:53:13 am »
Glad it was just the tip Eric. And it looks like it healed well.

The thumb is the digit you miss most if you loss it. My dad lost his to the first knuckle. He just had a little stub of a thumb. He still used it a lot. Swore at it a lot too. The thumb is what makes our hands so useful. Without it you really have a hard time picking up and holding things

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 12:50:44 pm »
Lucky you, Eric. Those blade will take anything away from you they can.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 02:52:06 pm »
Not too bad, it'll heal. Glad it wasn't worse. Took the top off my middle finger with a table saw. 6 years before I could shoot a bow. You don't think a bow has hand shock. Take your time healing, don't rush it.
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 07:44:12 pm »
That’s a eye opener for me because I just recently got a bandsaw. Glad you’re doing okay and healing up.. I’m going to start using extra caution around mine..

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 01:00:16 am »
Manuka honey is some mystical stuff. The United States alone consumes more manuka honey than New Zealand produces. Now I am not saying that there are some "industrious and innovative" marketers out there, but any time I see something labeled as manuka I just shake my head and walk away.

That being said, honey has been used to promote healing and to work as an antiseptic for thousands of years. Honey is so hydrophilic that it rips the cell walls of bacteria apart stealing their water! And the honey can be transported across cell walls to feed the injured flesh directly. The US military looked into this and tested plain old white sugar in wounds and had very similar positive results.

Get that hitch hiker digit healed up and get back to work soon!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 12:50:24 pm »
I'm glad it wasn't worse.  This is part of the reason I prefer working with hand tools.  You can still hurt yourself with them, but you have to work a bit harder at it.  Hang in there and heal up soon.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 09:13:10 am »
Eric, hope you continue healing quickly, and thanks for posting - I have removed stuck wood bits like that and never thought about what would happen if they got stuck in the blade. 

I like my bandsaw (although like WB, I prefer hand tools), but I try to remember that even though they don't seem as scary as tablesaws, bandsaws are also used for cutting up large animals at the meat processor. 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 06:32:20 pm »
Glad it wasn’t worse Eric! Hand/finger injuries are the worst, and they can be quite scary. Any injuries to my fingers and I can’t climb until it’s all good. I hope it heals quick and clean for ya  :OK
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 10:13:32 pm »
I have had so many moments with power tools that make me cringe to think what *could have happened...I'm glad you shared this, Eric; it's a good reminder.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 07:13:15 am »
Hope all heals up well Eric, I have so many scars from things like that I can't even count them, I tell my self to be careful but forget a lot when I am doing something, band saws and belt sanders are a Blessing and a curse.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 09:14:54 am »
25 days out, the center part of the wound was very deep. I kept bumping my thumb on objects we normally bump and don't even think about it, each time I did the wound would open back up and set back my healing. The wound got infected after I quit treating it but several days with a honey-soaked band aid quelled the infection.

Still sensitive and healing, the last bit of wound closure is going very slowly. From now on I am shutting my bandsaw off to do any clean-up around the blade that I can't push out of the way with my push stick.