Author Topic: Deep cook on white wood bows  (Read 3287 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: Deep cook on white wood bows
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2023, 09:44:42 pm »
heat tempered wood has been proven to have less moisture uptake than plain dried, so that might be a plus when using hickory.
If the tempered wood were only on the the belly side and a third of the limb thickness, then that would be be sufficient for lam bow as far as having enough heattreated wood to take the compression stress. I mention that as there might be an easier way to heattreat thinner lams to an even consistency.

Ah yes I hear ya.   I am experimenting with heat treatment of thinner lams and thinner bow stave cores too.  The only risk is splitting the thinner blanks.  Worth the risk if they work and survive the heat without splitting out.  One of the benefits of heat treatment of the bow blank first is that I can take down the back in prep for the boo backing down as far as I like to ensure a deep cook if that makes sense. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 09:47:35 am »
Just for results sake I have reverse strung by 3 to 4 inches nearly tillered bows over an open fire using leather welding gloves. Heating one limb at a time, and checking the back for heat by finger touch. I tried it with elm, hickory, white oak, walnut, and birch. After all bows were re tillered they all had some reflex up to 2 inches. Best results were with elm, hickory. It takes some time to get the deep heat treat rotating one limb, and then the other, but seems to work rather well.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2023, 11:01:16 am »
Just for results sake I have reverse strung by 3 to 4 inches nearly tillered bows over an open fire using leather welding gloves. Heating one limb at a time, and checking the back for heat by finger touch. I tried it with elm, hickory, white oak, walnut, and birch. After all bows were re tillered they all had some reflex up to 2 inches. Best results were with elm, hickory. It takes some time to get the deep heat treat rotating one limb, and then the other, but seems to work rather well.

Very cool!  I’m sure your patience was rewarded. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com