Author Topic: Rose thorns  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Aaron1726

Rose thorns
« on: September 11, 2023, 07:13:05 pm »
Just harvested several wild rose shafts today and spent waaaay too long getting all the thorns off.  My method is to use a pocket knife and work my way down each one cutting off the thorns.  Works well to clean up the shafts, but takes a while.  Just wondering what others do.  Is there a better way?

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Rose thorns
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 04:54:32 am »
I use a short stick (less then 2 feet) with a diameter of an inch (more or less)
I rub it fast up and down along the shaft before cutting it. I dont put pressure into the shaft, just slide fast up and down all around the shaft.
That usually detach almost all the thorns and make the cutting esear.
Even if some thorn stay in place they are usually blunted and the shafts are good to be dried as they are going to be sanded after anyway
You may have a very small amount to be done with the knife but it is usually a fast process
I do the same when collecting brambles to be woven into baskets

Another technique I dont use often (for laziness mainly) is to open a hole the approx size of your shafts diameter into a tin can and run the shafts through it
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 05:01:39 am by GlisGlis »

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 09:07:02 pm »
Thanks, I like the idea of getting the thorns off before you cut them.  That would probably save a few choice words from having to be said, haha.  I'm gonna have to try that.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 07:43:35 am »
Not sure if it will work the same, but on multiflora I would use the back of my big thick buck knife and slide the back down the shaft for the top. The thud on the thorn would pop them off.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."