Author Topic: A tanning question  (Read 4253 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
A tanning question
« on: September 25, 2023, 09:39:27 pm »
I have been working an elk hide using "Deerskins into Buckskins."  I used wood ashes for bucking, and then used vinegar to neutralize the lye.  I fear I used too much vinegar, because the hide smells of vinegar now, even after additional scraping and several rinses.

What should I do?  Leave it alone?  Sprinkle it with soda to neutralize the vinegar?  I can't think that acid in my hide is going to do it any good.  Not sure what to do about it.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline GlisGlis

Re: A tanning question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 05:59:13 am »
I'm not sure but my guess is the smell will vanish pretty soon as the acetic acid is quite volatile

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 09:57:18 am »
I'd imagine a neutralizing solution with baking soda(bicarbonate of soda) and water would neutralize the acidity and acidic smell of the vinegar. The aim, just like using the vinegar to adverse the affects of the alkali wood ash mixture is to reach a neutral condition.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 10:19:55 am »
If you have any access to moving water, that's the best rinse there is. At my house now, I drop the hides in the creek for a day or three and they are rinsed out completely. No more messing with vinegar and hoping I did it right.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 12:42:10 pm »
If you have any access to moving water, that's the best rinse there is. At my house now, I drop the hides in the creek for a day or three and they are rinsed out completely. No more messing with vinegar and hoping I did it right.
That's the trouble; I don't have access to moving water.  The creek down the road is frequented by racoons, stray dogs, and neighborhood kids, so leaving the skin in there would probably cause it to disappear.  Hopefully at some point in my life I'll get back to living somewhere with a creek.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 12:43:48 pm »
Anyway, thanks for the input, guys.  I'll try sprinkling it with some soda, give it a good rinse, and call it good.

The hide has some stains on it from leaves on the lawn and from the ashes, so I think I'm going to try a bark tan instead of brain tan.  So maybe the excess acid doesn't matter that much.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 12:59:02 pm »
It's probably too late for that hide, but I remember reading something in the appendix of that book about using light acid before the brains to help the hide come out even softer.  I did that one the one hide I brain-tanned and it actually came out pretty good, surprisingly good for a rookie.