Author Topic: Retirement hobby  (Read 1849 times)

Offline BrianS

Retirement hobby
« on: October 03, 2023, 10:05:38 pm »
Hello Everybody,
I added another hobby to keep busy in Retirement. Started painting whimsical paintings on old rusty saws. Many of the paintings have the legendary Big Foot (Giant Yeti, Abominable Snowman) in them. I'm having fun painting them mostly in the evenings at my tent camp. It helps pass the time especially this time of the year when I'm there by myself and it gets dark so early. Figured it might pass some time this Winter also. I had more paintings than what's in this video but I donated one for my Archery Club's Traditional Shoot's Can Raffle and even sold some at another Event that was held at my Archery Club. None will ever hang in Art Gallery but I'm having Fun. Here is the link to a video with some of the painted saws in it. Trying to teach myself as I have never done this before.
Take care, Brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9jyDuURJrI

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Retirement hobby
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 08:27:51 am »
Art has a therapeutic effect on one's life; I was once a pretty good duck carver and painter. Even though I haven't carved a duck since 86 (I got into bow making) I kept a couple of decoy blanks and all of my carving tools for the day I am too old and infirm to make or shoot bows anymore.

I even got into doing Bob Ross type paintings years ago, of course I threw them all away and never showed them to anyone because they were somewhat mediocre but I enjoyed painting them.

I live alone as well, at almost 76 most of my close friends have either died or moved on. The Beatles song "Eleanor Rigby" makes more sense to me now.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 09:48:43 am »
They look good to me. I paint also. What color do you want that wall? ;) If your having fun keep doing it.
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline BrianS

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 06:32:02 am »
Eric and Leroy,
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.  Not sure what to do with the ones I have and future ones that I paint and do not give away. I thought maybe I would find a big tree in my forest and hang them all from it. Sort of like a giant mobile. Just let them weather and rust away naturally. Can you imagine some guy in the future out wandering the hills and he comes across a tree with dozens of painted saws hanging from it.
Take care, Brian

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 05:42:57 pm »
Can only speak for myself Brian but, I think they’re really cool..

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 03:35:30 pm »
Arts and crafts.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 04:27:58 pm »
Bigfoot is often mistaken for Sasquatch, Yeti never complains.

New hobbies, new neural connections, new life in the old brain pan.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 06:53:22 pm »
Brian, all of your saws look good but the free trapper is lookin extra special. Bob

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 11:42:49 am »
Thanks Everybody for the nice comments. I appreciate it.
Love the Bigfoot is often mistaken for Sasquatch. Yeti never complains.