Author Topic: Yew billet bow build  (Read 8270 times)

Offline mmattockx

Re: Yew billet bow build
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2023, 01:31:55 pm »
Dave,

What tool(s) do you use to get your fades scalloped like that?

Mark

Offline superdav95

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2023, 02:17:39 pm »
Dave,

What tool(s) do you use to get your fades scalloped like that?

Mark

I use a Shinto rasp on the fine side initially to angle it first then move to a gooseneck scraper to get the dishes out look.  Hope this helps. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2023, 05:18:49 pm »
I use a Shinto rasp on the fine side initially to angle it first then move to a gooseneck scraper to get the dishes out look.  Hope this helps.

What does the blade look like on the scraper? Is it rounded? All the ones I've seen are just straight across.

Mark

Offline superdav95

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2023, 09:34:11 pm »

What does the blade look like on the scraper? Is it rounded? All the ones I've seen are just straight across.

Mark

It’s rounded on all sides.  Here’s a pic of a couple of mine. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 12:15:10 am »
I have those Dave but mine are rusty. I use the nose of my belt sander. Old broke down hands.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2023, 12:26:57 am »
Ya mike. I’ve done with more e too for shaping.  Gotta be careful is all as 36grit removes wood fast!   I find these are great for detailed work but it is hard on the hands after a while.  Hand cramps! 

I did some more tillering for about 40 mins and got to the short string today.  Pulled to about 20” and bend is looking pretty good.  I’m at about 58lbs here so I may need to narrow up the limbs a tiny bit as my ratios are where I want to keep them now.   The top limb is on the left side.  It’s an inch longer then the bottom limb. Asymmetric bow.    I will try and recurve the tips next on Friday.   Thanks for looking….

Dave
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 12:31:07 am by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline razorbak

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2023, 10:10:22 am »
Man your splices looks great I just did my first splice on a nice set of osage and ruined it so I cut that off and did a simple V splice and might have ruined again I got to cut 1.5 off the V and hopefully this works if not then I just ruined it. Definitely following your build

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2023, 12:14:48 pm »
Thanks for the comment guys!   Here’s a picture of my splice layout somewhat explained.  I like this kind of splice as it is much easier to get limb billets straight and lined up.  The reason for this I believe is this center line that I’ve marked in red arrows.  It’s nice to have this reference line match up with your center line on your limbs.  Mine were in chalk line so it rubbed off a bit but still worked ok.  I’ve done long v splices before with success but I still prefer this one.  The width of each section on either side of that center line is 1/2”.   One could add one more finger cut (w) on this splice if your wanting to splice a wider set of billets then shape them down to your handle width later.  I’ve also done this too with soMe success but you can end up with more glue lines on one side over the other if alignment is off and some tweaking is needed.  I find with the one I used here however you can get it straight with some reference lines.  Even if I were to round off and contour the handle on this bow bare wood it wouldn’t look too bad.  One could leave it that way or in my case cover up with a leather wrap.   Hope this helps.  Also I fine this one easier to cut with band saw fyi.  Just make sure you are squared up on the belly side of your billets as best you can.  I clamp mine down on flat surface and look down them to avoid getting prop twist or any misaligned limbs.  Once I get them pretty good I know my cuts will be square and maintain this matched layout when splices are cut.  Also use card stock instead of paper.  I cheaped out here and got lazy and just used paper but it can get deformed when it gets damp with being glued on.  Card stock has less tendency to do that.  Hope this helps and best of luck. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 12:45:29 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2023, 12:17:25 pm »
It’s rounded on all sides.  Here’s a pic of a couple of mine.

Ah, furniture scrapers. That makes perfect sense for the fades. Thanks for the info, Dave.

Mark

Offline superdav95

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2023, 04:37:56 pm »
I had some inquiries on my steamer set up so I figured I’d show here with short video clip.  It’s just a wallpaper steamer and I attached the hand wand that comes with it to the end of a 2’ section of 4” diameter abs pipe.  Stuffed rags in the other end.   The nice thing about this is the I can do the entire bow in this set up as I can just add coupler fittings to extend to whatever length I need.  Not too concerned about a water tight fit either so I don’t even glue it together.  Steam is great as it Cannot over heat your work and thouroghly heats the section you want bending.  I’m sure there are better set ups out there but figured I’d show mine anyway. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gNA7cKgTHd1SXjC7A
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 04:42:11 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2023, 05:01:52 pm »
Here’s a quick video of my recurve jig. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iATABZeUyTbeUNnz9

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2023, 05:25:42 pm »
Here’s the first one out of the jig.  I’ll shorten the tips up for final bow.  I leave them plenty long at this stage when bending.  I’ll end up cutting off around the right side of the temporary nock. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2023, 06:49:52 pm »
Here’s a few pics of the recurves.  Turned out pretty well.  I will have to take out a little limb twist on the bottom limb but it’s minor.  Thanks for looking. 

Dave

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2023, 06:51:40 pm »
Couple more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline timmyd

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2023, 07:52:51 pm »
There are some beautiful glass bows out there but in my opinion there is just something special about a self bow