Author Topic: Yew billet bow build  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: Yew billet bow build
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2024, 08:56:00 am »
Looking great Dave. You really make a great looking bow.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2024, 10:47:11 am »
Looking real good so far! Glue lines look good to me. Going to be a sharp looking bow when all finished up with those horn plates on the handle. Mike

Thanks mike.  The horn plate were a last minute detail on this one.  I was thinking I would put a leather wrap on it and hide the glue line on the splice but thought it looked better this way. Plus I can keep an eye out for any issues with my splice.  I suspect it’s fine and it won’t matter I guess if there ends up failure in the joint but still like to be able to see it. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2024, 10:47:45 am »
Looking great Dave. You really make a great looking bow.

Thanks mike much appreciated!   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2024, 06:55:46 pm »
Quick update on this build.  I tillered it to 57lbs at 28”.  I decided on this number just on the look of the bend and the heartwood to sapwood ratios and the fact it shot so buttery smooth.  I guess if I decide later if my shoulder acts up I’ll shave a bit more or trap the belly perhaps.  There is something magical about yew though. Can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s there.  This bow shoots very very well.  I’m tempted to make this my hunting bow for next year.  I was only able to shoot a dozen times or so due to rain here but it didn’t matter what side I shot from or what arrow Spine I shot from it it seemed to like them all.  I realize more shooting is needed but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far.  It did take some set though but I don’t even care really as it shoots like a dream.  Don’t get me wrong you guys know I love Osage and have a love affair with hickory but this billet bow I’m pretty happy with.  My video gal wasn’t around so I’ll have to take some video in hopefully next few days as wether clears up.  I started out with about 3.5” reflex and immediately after string I’ve got about 2.5”.  After about 20-30 mins it crept back to 3” where it settled in at this point.  More shooting with this will likley end me around 2.5”.  I’m ok with that.  I think most of the set I got was the little bit of natural deflex in the billets to start with.  Maybe I didn’t put enough heat perhaps to make it stick around?  So a all in all great shooter.  The speeds are good too although will have to text this to be sure when better wether comes.  It seems fast and straight.  I shot a 400, 350, and 300 spine arrows.  All shot quite well but if had to pick one it would be the 300.  Anyway it was a fun build more to come.  I’ll get some video and more pics up here soon.  Thanks for following along. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2024, 08:24:16 am »
Nice job and beautiful bow, Yew is special wood for sure, kind of unpredictable for me sometimes but when it makes a bow is is a sweet one.  :)
Old saying from here a few years back was Osage is King and Yew is Queen  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2024, 11:06:55 am »
Can’t wait to hear the speeds. May fool us and be a contender in the 70# class.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2024, 01:59:20 pm »
Nice job and beautiful bow, Yew is special wood for sure, kind of unpredictable for me sometimes but when it makes a bow is is a sweet one.  :)
Old saying from here a few years back was Osage is King and Yew is Queen  ;) :) :)
 Pappy

Thanks pappy!  Ya it has been for me too.  Like you say when it works it make a sweet one.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2024, 02:02:06 pm »
Can’t wait to hear the speeds. May fool us and be a contender in the 70# class.

We shall see.  I’m still debating on getting it down in weight a bit more.  I’ll try and get so more shooting in and decide.  Hopefully my camera lady is around today.  I need to invest in a tripod or something I think!   

superdav95@gmail.com