Author Topic: Broke my hunting bow! Replacement build  (Read 1311 times)

Offline superdav95

Broke my hunting bow! Replacement build
« on: November 08, 2023, 03:31:59 pm »
Well I’m sure others have been there but timing couldn’t be worse.  I’ve got a 10 pointer calling my name and I was an idiot and broke my hunting bow I made recently for hunting this year.   Can’t blame the bow this time.  In a hurry I put my bow in the back of my truck with my feed and other things namely a chainsaw and in my haste to get to my tree stand I didn’t ensure that my bow was safely out of the way of my chainsaw and I put 2 gouges in the top limb.  They did t look too deep to me so I strung it up and did my sit and came home.  Next morning take it out to do some shooting and after couple shots I heard a snap!  Right where the little gouge was I lifted a splinter on the top limb.  I had over 300 arrows at least through this bow and it shot really well.  I was nice and consistent with it.  Really sucks to loose a bow this nice anyway Here’s a video link shortly after finishing it.  I have other bows to use for sure but I had been dialed in with this one putting all the others away to remain consistent for hunting this year.  So enough tears I guess. I decided to build another really quick and I had the bamboo so I made a replacement bow with same dimensions.  So far so good.  I’m not at full draw yet and the bend is to my liking so it’s looking positive.  Right now it’s at 55 lbs at 28” which is exactly where the other one was so that’s nice.  I had gotten used to that weight so wanted it to be close.  The first video link is the original bow that broke and second is the replacement I just built.  Figured I’d post it as I’m sure others have had this too and been in a scramble.  The 3rd video link is comparable mass production bow for fun.  You can see where the two little gouges were and where my break occurred.  Lesson learned dont be careless with my bows. Especially wood bows.  I hope to get this one finished up to still have time to use it for hunting this year.  Fingers crossed.   

My orig bow that broke

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1qKsNfXxt7RD8aVq9

Replacement bow

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2oMHqm3BuxcyqdwMA

Sanlida x8 for comparison

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x4U6MEQWgwd2GN468
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 03:46:42 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Broke my hunting bow! Replacement build
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 03:43:03 pm »
Here’s some pics of where the break occurred.  Looking at it now I’m not surprised it broke there.  Too bad what’s a nice bow.  I used the parts and built the new one and I looks promising.  Those purple string bindings will be replaced with some brown or black bindings for better hunting Colors after I finish shooting it in at full draw.  So far so good.  Here’s a reading I got after my camera lady left.  If this survives it will be just as good I think.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 05:04:04 pm »
Well Dang. At least it didn’t break when that Ten point was giving you a shot.

It’s kinda funny. Guessing you were maybe the same. My first several bows I handled so carefully. Now my Simply Orange kicks around with me in my beet digger tractor, cart, combine and pickup truck. I still try to be careful with it but nothing like I used to.

I definitely have more fun with them that way

Bjrogg

PS I’m guessing you have another one that would work in a pinch
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman211

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 05:27:01 pm »
Nice thing about that style bow is that not all is lost if you break one component of it. Simply remove, and replace, and they are strong shooters which your chrony shows above. Nice save, and good hunting to you,and all.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 01:13:49 am »
Thanks fellas. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 11:18:11 pm »
You got something you can hunt with right now? If not, I can go through what I got and we can probably get you back in the woods soon on that ten pointer.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 01:43:14 am »
You got something you can hunt with right now? If not, I can go through what I got and we can probably get you back in the woods soon on that ten pointer.

Very nice of ya JW.  I had been practicing with this style as it’s nice a compact for my tree stand.  Plus I had made my own bow mounted quiver that only fits my bamboo bows.  I almost got it to work on one of my recurves but it was stlll putting the wraps a little short into the fades.  Anyway thanks again.  I’ll manage to get back in there soon enough.  A little break might be good for my spots anyway.  😀

superdav95@gmail.com