Author Topic: Getting Started on First Bow!  (Read 8187 times)

Offline snag

Re: Getting Started on First Bow!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:40 pm »
That's a generous offer Stan. I live in Eugene.

Dana, that's an interesting remark. I was thinking this morning that there are too types of ways to create something....by adding to or by taking away. This will be like sculpture...taking a little away here and then over here...until the bow is revealed that was waiting to come out!

I'm looking at draw knifes now! Is there a maker of these currently that you can recommend?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Dano

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 10:19:42 pm »
I got my draw knife at McMasterCarr.com, been real happy with it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 12:25:19 am »
all right dave.you will have fun..so what kind of wood are you starting with.later john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 01:18:14 am »
Right on Dave  ;)  Fill us in on the details and keep us posted.  ;) Don't hesitate to ask questions this is a great board with lots of help.  Great getting to meet you.  Keenan

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 02:59:18 am »
Check out antique stores for draw knives.  I love old tools, and the old steel was probably better too...

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline StanM

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 01:38:42 pm »
Hey Dave,

I'm just down the road in Creswell.  Give me a holler after the 15th and we'll work something out.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline snag

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 02:38:32 pm »
Blacktail, it is a vine maple stave that Keenan and Dave gave me at the Bowbuilding Rendevous in central Oregon.

Knocker it's funny you said that. This morning I had an appt. north of Eugene. There was an Estate Sale sign out by the road. Pulled in and drove down the gravel road to a farmhouse. Walked into the barn/workshop to see table after table covered with tools and gadgets. Unfortunately this man had not been a woodworker. He was into metal and old car restoration. He had a couple of 30's Ford sedans that were fully restored. Fun to look around. I found a rasp w/ a wooden handle that looks pretty aggressive. Thought it might work for taking wood off this stave...for $1 you can't go wrong.  Still looking for a draw knife.

330bull

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 05:10:51 pm »
Snag,

Draw Knives are totally overrated IMHO.  They're necessary for Osage and other staves that require ring chasing.  I have found the the following tools to be the most critical:

1. Farrier's Rasp
2. Bowyer's Edge
3. Nicholson #50 Rasp
4. Pocket Knife.

Good luck with the Vine Maple!  Since you live in the valley I highly recommend you also look into some Hazelnut.  So far I have found Hazelnut to be the easiest wood to work with.

Keep in touch OK?

Joe

Offline snag

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 06:08:27 pm »
Thanks Joe for the shopping list! I was given a farrier's rasp and have several pocket knifes. I will look for the other two items.
I have 6 hazelnut staves seasoning right now. I found an orchard that was being cut down for a housing development!!! Wish I had gotten more now. They have been down for one month now. Should be ready after hunting season.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 06:55:11 pm »
Snag,

Draw Knives are totally overrated IMHO.  They're necessary for Osage and other staves that require ring chasing.  I have found the the following tools to be the most critical:

1. Farrier's Rasp
2. Bowyer's Edge
3. Nicholson #50 Rasp
4. Pocket Knife.

Good luck with the Vine Maple!  Since you live in the valley I highly recommend you also look into some Hazelnut.  So far I have found Hazelnut to be the easiest wood to work with.

Keep in touch OK?

Joe

what is a bowyers edge?
lets just shoot it

Offline snag

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 08:22:11 pm »
Glad you asked that Recurve Shooter...I would like to know also. :-\

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 10:27:35 pm »
It's a fancy scraper hafted kind of like a plane blade except more perpendicular. Dean Torges makes and sells them. It's kind of based on Dick Baugh's Bowscraper. Personally, I love drawknives, they're really versatile and also make a great scraper when turned up perpendiclar to the wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline BryanB

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 01:10:47 pm »
Nicholson #49 & #50.  Save your pennies though they are abut $40-50 each without the handle.
Tons of bow wood around Eugene.  Vine Maple, Cascara, hazel nut, service berry, hawthorne, yew, black locust, and Ocean Spray.
Good Luck
Bryan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 01:13:47 pm »
I'd recommend the #49 but save your money and don't buy the #50
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline snag

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 07:38:13 pm »
I looked at some Nicholson rasps at the hardware store. I couldn't see any marking indicating they were #49 or #50???? The rasp I picked up at the Estate Sale is a Sureform. Will that do the same work as the #49 Nicholson?