Author Topic: The shave horse and the spatula  (Read 3297 times)

Offline lenador

The shave horse and the spatula
« on: November 17, 2023, 09:37:31 am »
After the last how broke it was hard to get back on the horse because I didn't have a horse..... A shave horse that is. I knew I needed one and figured I'd start collecting bits of woods until I had what I needed to make it. I didn't have plans so I sort of just made it up as I went with the only plan to be sure it fit under my work bench.

Figured I'd use the excess from the last bows stave that I cut off to make my wife a quick handmade Xmas gift. Osage wooden spatula. It's funny if you can make a bow you can make a spatula in a hurry.

This project gave me some insight to things I need to alter a bit. Going to push the clamp forward and alter the foot portion so the step is lower. Also need a peice of something in the rest to keep stuff from sliding so easily. Lastly the clamping block needs to be different, I had that 2x4 chunk laying there at basically the right length so I just tossed it on. Next I'm going to make my dad a cane from Osage branches I have seasoned and see if these modifications worked. By the. Hunting season will be over and I'll be on the journey for next year's hunting bow with the new shave horse and a little more skills and knowledge.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: The shave horse and the spatula
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 05:59:08 pm »
Nice, good to just be working with wood, gives me peace no matter what I am making. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: The shave horse and the spatula
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 12:46:09 am »
Basic? A beaut! I have no space or time for such a creation!