Author Topic: Harbor freight bandsaw  (Read 4685 times)

Offline hammerstone

Harbor freight bandsaw
« on: November 17, 2023, 11:25:35 am »
Anyone tried or using the Central Machinery 14" bandsaw from Harbor freight?
My old craftsman was worn out and finding parts got next to impossible.

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Harbor freight bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 11:29:33 am »
Don’t know but Grizzly makes a good one. You will have some assembly required on all of them. You can get used ones also pretty reasonable if you have a little time.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 11:37:07 am »
I bought an old delta 14” bandsaw from a high school years ago for 300$.  I just upgraded to the roller bearing blade guides as it came with bearing blocks which were not great.  It transformed my saw!  I also got a magnetic fence too.  I have no experience with the harbour freight one though. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 12:26:04 pm »
I’ve tried a number of band saws and nothing has compared to a 1990 Delta 14” I got second hand. It needed new tires, new blade, new blocks and some rust removal. I believe it’s the best-selling bandsaw in history so they’re easy to find, and parts are plentiful and cheap. Total investment was around $250. It outperforms the $1700 Rikon 14” it replaced in every way. Sold the Rikon almost immediately. My experience with bandsaws leads me to believe you shouldn’t touch the harbor freight one with an 10 foot pole.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 12:32:42 pm by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 03:37:52 pm »
I’ve tried a number of band saws and nothing has compared to a 1990 Delta 14” I got second hand. It needed new tires, new blade, new blocks and some rust removal. I believe it’s the best-selling bandsaw in history so they’re easy to find, and parts are plentiful and cheap. Total investment was around $250. It outperforms the $1700 Rikon 14” it replaced in every way. Sold the Rikon almost immediately. My experience with bandsaws leads me to believe you shouldn’t touch the harbor freight one with an 10 foot pole.

Sounds like you and I have the same bandsaw! 😁
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 05:44:45 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 08:26:49 pm »
I have a Porter Cable that I paid way to much for at lowes. It sucks. take the advise above.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 08:42:11 pm »
I’m a fan of the grizzly I’ve got. Equally importantly though is getting the right blade and taking the time to tune it properly.
As far as Harbor Freight goes, I wouldn’t recommend anything that is more than a very occasional use item. I’ve had less than solid luck with their products and the joke is that they sell pre-broken tools.

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 12:31:00 pm »
Can't afford Jet, Delta or grizz. Only need it to cut out front profile close to the lines and possibly hog off some belly wood on occasion.
For the price I thought the one from Harbor freight might be good enough

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 03:22:06 pm »
Watch craigslist for a Delta, or other American-made saw that is at least 20 years old. They seldom need parts and they can be found on eBay and through a classified ad on the Old Woodworking Machines forum. (Worth joining just for the fun, let alone the help.)  https://owwm.org/index.php
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 01:11:13 am »
I just looked up the Central Machinery 14” from Harbor Freight and they’re $479.

You could get a pristine used Delta for less than that.

Buy once, cry once with a bandsaw. You’ve got a half dozen experienced people telling you it’s a bad idea, but do what you want.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 10:49:17 am »
I find the most bandsaws for sale on the Facebook Marketplace, I just checked, there were 3 local 12" craftsman saws listed in the $100 range and one Porter Cable 14" for $275 plus dozens of other higher priced saws.

Craig's list had one local craftsman 12" that looked like new for $275.

I used a Craftsman 12" for 20 years, with a 3TPI blade it did just fine for bow making, I did add roller blade guides to it. I stepped up to a big Griz when I built my shop.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2023, 09:20:44 am »
Not sure about the Harbor band saws but I bought a meat saw and it was junk, I have a 12 in craftsman that I have had for years and done many bows on it, only use it for light work now, I have a 14 inch Craftsman, and older one when they still made them out of steel and it works great, I would look for an older used saw if it were me and I think it would be cheaper and am convinced they were better.  :) JMO.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2023, 10:18:26 am »
Pappy , can you still find parts for your Craftsman? I took have an old steel craftsman that I got back in the 80s. Every time I look up parts they saw no longer available

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2023, 09:58:27 am »
I am pretty sure all the parts except the motor are standard parts, wheel bearings, tires, drive belt and the like and can be found in aftermarket offerings.  I am pretty sure I put new tires on mine and got them from a place that specialized in bandsaw tires from OEM to high dollar silicone ones. Google what you need and it is probably out there from an after-market dealer.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2023, 12:05:20 pm »
Yes, most parts of 12" Craftsman band saws of the all metal era are available from after-market sources. Most all blade suppliers offer 80" blades, which fit these saws. All bowyers and woodworkers should check out and join the Old Woodworking Machines forums. A wealth of knowledge and resources available there.

https://owwm.org/index.php?sid=8ea9c1e2a0e0e3e795697925838ec209

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine