Author Topic: Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage)  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 09:44:26 am »
Nice deer!

And good looking checkering too.  I've always liked checkering. But never could get the execution down.  I'd say you nailed it though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 11:23:13 am »
Beautiful checkering work, Dave and congrats on the deer.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 11:38:39 am »
Very kind words guys.  Thanks.  Hamish, I’m surprised more don’t do this on their bows.  It really makes the ideal grip. It does take some time to do but there are lots of utube videos on how to do it.  I’m no expert on this for sure but just took my time with it.  My design I did on this was pretty basic too.  Some guys out there are really good and efficient with checkering.  I would need more practice to get into some intricate designs.  My first few times doing this on scrap handles were not great but I needed to get major mistakes out of the way before trying on actual bow. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 12:57:55 pm »
May have to change your moniker to SuperDooperDave!

I am interested in those goggles, brother. These 60 yr old eyes are wearing out and I think I would like to try a pair of those!

Checkering is on my list of skills to learn for my next flintlock. Got recommendation on a book on that subject?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 02:28:01 pm »
May have to change your moniker to SuperDooperDave!

I am interested in those goggles, brother. These 60 yr old eyes are wearing out and I think I would like to try a pair of those!

Checkering is on my list of skills to learn for my next flintlock. Got recommendation on a book on that subject?

Thanks JW!  I was a huge super Dave Osborne fan back in the day hence the name.   They don’t make ‘em like that anymore that’s for sure. 

As for these goggles I got them from a friend of mine whose son is a dentist.  This is an older pair but they work alright.  I think I’d prefer to get led light magnifying goggles though.  I had to use a lamp to get more light for the details.  Here’s a pair I will be ordering soon I think to try off Amazon.  They are cheap and might be worth the risk of buying something cheap at first to try it out.  They have decent reviews so I may just pull the trigger on a set. 

YOCTOSUN Magnifying Glasses with Light, Head Mount Magnifier with 5 Lenses, Headband, Storage Case, Hands Free LED Lighted Head Magnifying Visor for Close Work Hobby Crafts https://a.co/d/0s8OWMX

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 04:02:12 pm »
Beautiful job! I wonder how available that wood is? I imagine it grows in other parts of South America as well.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2023, 07:05:06 pm »
Badger, Argentine osage turns up on many websites of exotic, import timber merchants, in the US.  Usually in sawn boards. Getting some with straight enough grain, and long enough for a set of billets is doable. Full length stave would not be easy.
It's fairly expensive for an exotic wood, though not nearly as much as cocobolo, or ebony. Roughly about as much as regular osage, in seasoned lumber.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 08:12:45 pm »
I’ll have to enquire of my buddy where exactly he got this stave.  I’d like to get some more actually.  It’s really dense compared to my other Osage as far as I can tell.  He had to ship it to an address in Miami from panama and then got it to me here up in great white north.  I’m not actually certain it’s from panama it could have been harvested in surrounding areas down there.  It was not cheap to ship it he said but he still did alright on the deal.  I shot it some more today and it shoots very nice actually.  I like it the more I shoot it.  It’s a near center shot bow and arrows fly really straight through it.  I still may put a set of fur string silencers on it not that it needs it.  I’m sure it will look good and quiet it a little too.  I may keep this one naked the way it is.  Gonna do a final sand and lather it up with tung oil tomorrow.  It sounds a little kinky when I put it like that but you guys get it😉

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Finished up this bow today and did some more shooting with it.  It’s was quite windy today so my shots were all over the place but was able to get some chrono readings anyway.  My camera person didn’t stick around so she only got me the one video.  I really need to get a phone holder or something for when she’s not around.  I got 173 fps at 10gpp at 27” draw.  I later did some better readings at 28” and got 178-179.  This is a more accurate representation of the speed of the bow.  It’s absolutely dead in the hands now that I added the little fur dampers.  It wasn’t bad before anyway totally acceptable.  I actually expected this bow to be a little slower then it is being so heavy.  It’s noticeable the difference in mass.  I weighed it for curious sake and it’s around 937grams!   Compared to some of my other bows that’s heavy.  This bow finished out at just under 55lbs at 28”.  It’s shorter then I normally build at 65”ttt and 63.5” ntn. The top limb is an inch longer then the bottom.  It’s limb dimensions are 1 5/8” at widest then taper slightly to 1.5” just past midpoint then tapers again to 1” at around 10” from tip to 3/8” at the tips.   I went with left over bits of deer antler for the overlays.  I had to make some heat corrections on this stave to get the tips to align and the bottom limb untwisted.  Still has some character wiggles left which is fine.  I straighten it all out to my liking and added some reflex to about 3.5” set back.  The miniature static recurves were done with dry heat.  After shooting in after tiller I ended up with 2 3/4” set back immediately after unstringing and after about 30mins or so it come to rest at 3”.  Pretty happy with that actually as this was a marginal peice of Osage as far as rings are concerned with only 2-3 good rings at best.  The rest were pretty tight and ratios of late and early wood not spectacular.  The checkered handle was worth it even though it’s time consuming task.  It feels secure but not slippery at all being a naked bow.  The only finish I used so far was a generous coat of tung oil rubbed in by hand and let to soak in the wiped off excess.  I then burnished the entire bow with a porcelain mug.  I may add a few coats of tru oil down the road still yet.  I also will likely add a calf hair pass too. 

Here’s short vid clip of me shooting the bow. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kRees6Pajgb8549s5
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 06:10:29 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 06:02:53 pm »
More…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage) updated pics and video
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2023, 06:05:20 pm »
Few more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2023, 06:12:55 pm »
Sorry. Couple more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2023, 07:17:56 pm »
Lovely job Dave. Certainly is a beautiful timber.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2023, 09:58:53 pm »
Thanks hamish it was a fun build

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline M2A

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2023, 07:19:19 am »
All around great looking bow! And congrats on the buck! Checkering on that piece looks awesome, and done very well.
Mike