Author Topic: Shagbark Longbow  (Read 10862 times)

Offline Sandsquid

Shagbark Longbow
« on: October 08, 2023, 06:58:53 pm »
I completed a couple of bows over the summer.  I thought I would take some time and post them.  This one I just finished.  It comes in at 135 lbs @ 30".  It's 78" NTN, 1.61" x 1.03" @ the handle, and weighs in at 2 lbs 9.4 ozs.  I kept the belly flat and crowned the back slightly.  This bow I chased a ring to get a heart wood belly and a sap wood back.  I backed it with burlap mainly because I like the look of it, partly because the ring I chased was thin and I defiantly violated it in a couple of places.  The inlay for the arrow pass and the nocks are made from elk tines.  I wrapped the handle to round out the belly side of the grip.  Finally, I finished this the bow with a homemade oil varnish. 

I can't quite get this one all the way back, so no full draw picks yet.  Hopefully I'll be launching arrows within a few weeks, and I'll update the post then.

Offline Sandsquid

Re: Shagbark Longbow
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 07:02:56 pm »
A couple more pics.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 07:34:06 pm »
Very nice hickory longbow.  :OK
I especially like the looks of burlap backing. Any secrets to getting the backing that smooth.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sandsquid

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 08:52:21 pm »
I use Tighbond 3 for the adhesive.  I glue the burlap to the back coating it fairly heavy.  Then cover it with wax paper and wrap the entire bow with an ace bandage.  I let it set for a couple hours then unwrap the bow and apply another coat of tighbond.  It might take a third coat to get all the air pockets out.  Then I let everything cure for a couple of days then sand it down until the burlap fibers start showing.  I've done 3 bows like this now and I think they all turned out good. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 10:54:13 pm »
 :OK  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 07:44:51 pm »
There is a lot to like about this bow. Low stringfollow. Did you heat treat it, or heat a reflex in? Elk nocks look great too.

That's also the best looking burlap backing I've ever seen, very neat and professional.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 03:46:49 am »
Very nice longbow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 04:28:16 pm »
Great looking bow,  nocks and backing are very cool 😎.
 R.D.
Mon arc, mon cœur. Gardez la foi!

Offline Sandsquid

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 08:09:13 pm »
Thank you for the replies.   

Hamish,

I did not heat treat this bow or add reflex by heat.  I did narrow the tips when the wood was drying.  This seems to cause the wood to dry with some reflex.  I've had some staves twist doing this though.  I'm undecided if it worth risking the stave twisting.  The reflex seems to pull out anyway.  Maybe it saves some string follow.  The only bows I've had hold reflex, were staves that had natural reflex when they were cut.  I've stopped heat treating the heavier bows I make.  I doesn't seem to be worth the extra effort to me.  I learned with hickory to just make sure it is extra dry before you start working it.  I do the final drying in a hotbox and like to have the wood sitting around 7% for a few days.     

Offline Mikkolaht

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 02:51:25 pm »
Nice looking bow! The backing looks really nice.