Author Topic: Red oak board bow (UPDATED)  (Read 1900 times)

Online superdav95

Re: Red oak board bow (UPDATED)
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2023, 07:23:07 pm »
Congrats!  That’s looks and sounds like a smooth shooter.  Well done.  It sounds well balanced.  Bend looks good too. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Gingerbeard20

Re: Red oak board bow (UPDATE)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2023, 10:40:25 pm »
I think it still ended up a little stiff in the inner 1/3s and bottom limb ended up with a little more movement than the top, at brace its about an 1/8" higher at the bottom of the handle than the top. All in all I'm not to upset for my second completed bow

I think your evaluation is correct. spreading out the bend more will help with the set
are you in a humid part of the country? sometimes bow recovering from set means your wood could be drier.  Another reason is that the wood may have gotten overworked early on in the tiller process if you were pulling too hard or the bend was too concentrated in one part of the limb.
Seeing correct bend at brace height is what I try to achieve, but I have found it challenging.
I would expect that those dimensions with redoak with a target draw weight of 30# could be done withless strain on the wood.

looks like some nice  bow wood is available without having to walk to far from your front door. better choices than redoak boards

Im in the western part of maryand, we have had a real wet winter so far but I heat with wood so the humidity stays pretty low in my house. I never pulled it over 30lb I use a luggage scale when tillering but I had alot of initial movement in the outer thirds and I think that is what caused my set. I have a few reasonably clean maple staves Im going to start work on soon hopefully but the board bow seemed like a good tillering exercise since i didnt have to deal with any character in the wood. It was a fun build now hopefully I can finish the hickory mollegabet i have started then move on to a new peice. I dont have high hopes for it though I made some poor design choices and it already has set halfway tillered but Ill finish ot out and see what happens it bugs my leaving it half done.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2023, 10:47:49 pm »
Awesome work! Personally I’d probably get the bend a little more into the fades but you’ll also realize you can tiller a bow to nothing. Looks like it shoots great which means you are at a fine place to call it done if you so choose. Either way that’s a bow to be proud of!

Offline M2A

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2023, 08:17:40 am »
Congrats! Wish my 2nd bow looked that good. Looks well balanced, nice even bend, in the video.
Mike

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 09:12:25 pm »
Finally got a couple of better pictures to share with yall. Got a few 100 shots through now and nothing bad has happened so I'll take it as a win. Thank you everybody who helped and gave advice along the way. https://imgur.com/gallery/NBq0kG9

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2024, 09:45:03 am »
Looks mighty fine to me, well done, love the color. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2024, 06:00:35 pm »
Very nice bow. Well done sir.