Author Topic: New Member  (Read 941 times)

Offline CRCopland

« on: December 24, 2023, 02:35:30 pm »
Hello Everyone:

I have been a lurker on this site for several years and just got approved by Pat B. to join. I live in Abbotsford, B.C. and am a novice builder. I took a bow building course in 2016 with Jamie MacDonald of Ravensbeak and continued on my own since then. Help also came in the form of the Traditional Bowyer Bibles and youtube videos from Clay Hayes and others.

There is so much to learn and it has been interesting turning book knowledge into actual practical experience. Not having any staves, I started with board bows. I have now had the opportunity to try different varieties of wood such as hazel, vine maple, elm, osage and yew. I have had to learn, along the way, how to boil, steam, heat gun in recurve and twists, experiment with glues and backing material, leather work and of course tried building different types of bow designs.

I have broken a lot along the way but try to learn something with each build.

Looking forward to continuing to learn from all of you and to contributing to the discussions when I can.

Regards to all,
Colin

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 03:18:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum Colin!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 03:22:39 pm »
Awesome Colin.  Glad to have ya join in on the fun and at times heartache when a project breaks.  It’s all part of the experience and what gives the best earned experience.  Welcome aboard and you will fit in here for sure.  Looking forward to some of your posts.  Jamie is an awesome guy.  I’ve spoken to him over the phone and he’s a really a good resource.  You’ll find many on here as I’m sure you are already aware have a vast array of experience and knowledge as well.   

Dave. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 03:28:22 pm »
Welcome, glad you joined us, you can get a lot of good info here from some of the best most sharing bow builders in the world. Enjoy and please share your work, heart breaks and all. 😉😊😊pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 06:24:58 pm »
Welcome, Colin. I have to give Marc St Louis credit for signing you up. I contacted him when I couldn't locate your request to join.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 06:28:50 pm »
Welcome! I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 11:25:25 am »
Welcome Colin. This is a great site with lots of great people willing to help anytime they can. Looking forward to see some of your work.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 12:01:09 pm »
Sounds like you've had a few "learning opportunities" getting to where you are as a bowyer! I am looking forward to seeing what you post!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tuxedovoid

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 12:12:49 am »
Hello Everyone:
I have been a lurker on this site for several years and just got approved by Pat B. to join. I live in Abbotsford, B.C. and am a novice builder. I took a bow building course in 2016 with Jamie MacDonald of Ravensbeak and continued on my own since then. Help also came in the form of the Traditional Bowyer Bibles and youtube videos from Clay Hayes and others.

There is so much to learn and it has been interesting turning book knowledge into actual practical experience. Not having any staves, I started with board bows. I have now had the opportunity to try different varieties of wood such as hazel, vine maple, elm, osage and yew. I have had to learn, along the way, how to boil, steam, heat gun in recurve and twists, experiment with glues and backing material, leather work and of course tried building different types of bow designs.

I have broken a lot along the way but try to learn something with each build.

Looking forward to continuing to learn from all of you and to contributing to the discussions when I can.

Regards to all,
Colin
Hello, I'm a new member as well. I've also wanted to attend a practical course but haven't got the opportunity. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Regards

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 12:46:40 am »
Welcome. Picked the right site tux. Lots of great people and very knowledgeable and more than happy to share. Good luck on your future builds.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 04:58:57 am »
Welcome aboard :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 09:22:48 am »
Welcome, you will enjoy it here I am sure. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 10:10:26 am »
Welcome to the site sir. You may not learn much from me but maybe have a laugh occasionally.🤠🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 09:02:32 pm »
Hands-on is a far faster way to complete a working bow than it is to read books/online tutorials and do it yourself.

Many of us on here would welcome you into their shop and get you working on a piece of wood immediately, me especially. I actually prefer teaching others to doing it myself anymore. Where are you guys located? Maybe someone nearby will extend an invitation.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.