Author Topic: How thin is thin?  (Read 661 times)

Offline Muskyman

How thin is thin?
« on: December 24, 2023, 05:29:09 pm »
I have seen where people mention some kind of ratio for a piece they are working on.. just wondering what you guys call thin enough. I think I might be trying to make my points too thin, maybe. I’ve never tried to measure them, just kinda going by feel.

Offline RickB

Re: How thin is thin?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 12:01:31 pm »
No thinner than these  :KN

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 08:51:54 pm »
That’s mighty thin Rick but, ruffles have ridges so I might go with them. I guess I’ll have to go with what I saw jack crafty post about a point he was making. I’m thinking it was 8 to 1. Guess I’ll have to get my micrometer out to see where some of mine are at.

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 12:10:55 pm »
I think 1:8 as super thin and a pretty advanced knapper but I have been wrong a couple times :-)  It certainly is a good goal but personally I would be happy if I could consistently get a 1:6 point that was a full 1" or more wide.  I can get material down to 1/8" thick all day long but it is too narrow to use as a hunting point imo.  fwiw  Paul

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 06:13:16 pm »
I’m actually trying for about an inch wide or a bit wider Paul. I think here in Ohio you have to be 7/8 minimum width. I think 1/8 might be a little too thin for obsidian but not flint. One of the many problems I’m having now is I’m getting one side that I can’t thin down. Getting better but not there yet. Seems like every piece has one side that ends up thicker than the other.. at least I’m not turning every piece into an aquarium turtle now.. if I could figure out the indirect stuff I think that would help. I really need to commit to practicing with that.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 08:25:36 am »
8:1 is a very thin ratio. I don't really measure my points I just thin until it looks good to my eyes.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 03:18:51 pm »
I agree 8 to 1 is pretty thin. I had one looking pretty thin and I figured I’d measure it. Turned out to be about a quarter inch measuring with a micrometer. It was still 2 inches wide at the base. But of course I destroyed it.😡

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 12:03:42 am »
Most artifacts fall within the 3:1 to 5:1 width to thickness ratio. Anything 6:1 or better is considered "thin" by most standards.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr