Author Topic: I wonder  (Read 1067 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
I wonder
« on: December 26, 2023, 05:32:45 pm »
I wonder what would happen if you switched the pencil in a gizmo for a scraper blade? I mean, you adjust the pencil, mark the bow, scrape away the marks and repeat. So. Why not cut out the middle step?  Would that give you what medieval makers called a bow float?

Offline Muskyman

Re: I wonder
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 06:21:18 pm »
I like the sound of it. I’m not really as familiar with wood working tools as I could be so I’ll ask if there is a small plane that maybe the blade is in the center? If there is, would that work?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 07:09:12 pm »
The closest thing to this may be a Boyers edge by Torges.  I don’t have one yet but I’ve been looking to try and get one.  It would be similar to a spike shave too perhaps and also adjustable blade depth.  The first pic is of the bowyers edge by Dean Torges. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 07:17:28 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 07:26:55 pm »
I tried a cabinet scraper . It did not work for me. Might have been operator error?🤠 I do like the thought of that kind of scraper.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 07:32:02 pm »
They make a smaller version of this block plane.  you would have to add to the front end.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 08:01:03 pm »
I have also found scraper planes with centrally mounted blades.  The problem is you’d need to use this while the bow is flexed on the tree.  This would mean the scraper needs a very low profile to avoid fowling the string.  I found an image of a medieval bowyers float on https://mistholme.com/dictionary/float/ which shows a thin plate with half a dozen scraper blades

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 08:48:42 pm »
They make a smaller version of this block plane.  you would have to add to the front end.
Why not just cut the back off same length as the front end with the blade dead center.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 09:10:23 pm »
Interesting idea. I suspect the issue is tuning it. I’m envisioning it scraping away too much, but appearing perfect, then when you exercise the bow and the changes kick in and create a hinge. If you used it until it was even without exercising it you’d definitely create problems. I think it would just take some skill to get used to.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 09:47:17 am »
The gizmo is only a marking tool, to actually remove wood you need much more pressure than the small gizmo could provide.

A separate scraping tool will give you better control of where you take wood off, I often just scrap off the pencil lines.

The key to having an effective cabinet scraper is knowing how to sharpen one, they are pretty amazing if you roll the hook just right.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 10:20:44 am »
A block plane with a rotary sanding disk in the center would be the ticket. The disk would heed to be adjustable.

Offline Chumash

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2023, 12:48:51 pm »
I have seen this version of a scraper years ago on paleo planet. It is easy to built. I build  mine with one blade of an old flott.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 12:54:46 pm by Chumash »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023, 09:58:18 am »
I have seen this version of a scraper years ago on paleo planet. It is easy to built. I build  mine with one blade of an old flott.

Bingo, how make the foot of the tool extend an inch and a halve front and back to give you the same sole profile as the gizmo and you are there. But I'd just stick to pencil and scraping as usual. As it is I have too many one trick pony tools, don't need to add another.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023, 12:37:09 pm »
Are we trying to build a better mouse trap. Maybe so. I might invest in one of the card scraper sharpeners I saw on here a while back,  Accu-Burr I believe. That and my gizmo should be good for me. I’m just not very good at getting my card scrapers edged right all the time.
It would be nice to have something that would work nicely though.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 01:26:43 pm »
  The only thing I have been meaning to change on my gizmo is the pencil but I never get around to it. I think a felt pen with a wide tip would do a better job of showing how much to scrape off because it is soft and would lay down a heavier line in the flatter spots.

Offline Chumash

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 03:16:11 pm »
... and I work at the marked places with the scraper shave ;)