Author Topic: Brace height  (Read 495 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Brace height
« on: January 04, 2024, 07:17:49 am »
Ok, so I have a short bow.  Brace height is pretty low at 4.5” but the bow is not much overbuilt and pretty stressed already.  If I raise the brace height 2”, am I likely to damage the bow, particularly when bracing?  Does raising brace height shorten draw length or have any other effects on performance as the length of the power stroke is reduced and the bow loses a little efficiency. I imagine it won’t change draw weight??

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Brace height
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 08:56:55 am »
Generally for me a lower brace will be faster but harder for me to handle, higher brace is usually smoother but you do loose a little performance, Most bows you can mess with the brace and fine a sweet spot that preforms well, smooth and easy to handle also, most of mine regardless of length end up between 5 and 6 inches.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 10:26:45 am »
No the draw weight will not change. I’ve had guys try to raise the brace to lower draw weight. It just won’t  work. Yes Pappy is right it loses performance on the bottom of the stroke by raising the brace.causes more set over time. On a 67” bow I like a 5-1/2  -6” brace. On flight bows 5” or so.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 11:13:21 am »
No the draw weight will not change. I’ve had guys try to raise the brace to lower draw weight. It just won’t  work. Yes Pappy is right it loses performance on the bottom of the stroke by raising the brace.causes more set over time. On a 67” bow I like a 5-1/2  -6” brace. On flight bows 5” or so.

Yup that’s for me too.  I like a little lower brace then normal especially on a longer bow. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 11:47:41 am »
On most of my bows I set the brace height at my fistmele which is about 5 1/2" to 6" then adjust that to find the sweet spot. On shorter bows I go a bit shorter but again trying to find the sweet spot. I also like the fletching to be clear of the string at brace and sometimes this means shortening the feather length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC