Author Topic: Sinew backed Osage Board Bow?  (Read 663 times)

Offline spitdrum

Sinew backed Osage Board Bow?
« on: January 06, 2024, 11:24:01 pm »
Hey ya'll, new user here. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm still a novice.

I have some very clean Osage boards (I've been experimenting with bamboo backed bows), And curiosity got the best of me... Has anyone messed with attempting to sinew back an Osage Board Bow? Instead of a backing strip or bamboo?

The boards are straight grained, no run-off, and knot free. I have done sinew backed stave bows, and have been itching to do a new sinew backed build. I figured Id ask, before attempting it. I have not been able to really find anything on the subject. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! - Spitdrum

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Sinew backed Osage Board Bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 11:44:38 pm »
I've never done it, but I have seen several bows made that way...they all worked.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bassman211

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 01:23:17 am »
I have sinew backed splits from Osage were the rings were to thin to chase for me any how , so I just backed them with sinew. Mine were not clean either, and I only used 1 heavy layer of sinew.  Though I never did it with boards I would think it would be similar. No problems with the one's I built, an some are really good shooters.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 03:13:51 am »

The boards are straight grained, no run-off, and knot free.

Thanks! - Spitdrum

is the board grain pattern plain sawn or quarter sawn? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/10/a6/7e10a68b6252954e5c882720a379ee11.png
how thick do you propose for the sinew?

just a thin layer of sinew over "flames" of plain sawn may not be the best, especially if the flames are in the working limb or the early wood is thickish

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 03:16:59 am by willie »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 11:36:42 am »
I'm sure it's possible. Is the egde grain as straight as the back grain? that could make a difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 09:02:10 pm »
I have not done one of these yet.  I’d like to see someone post a build like this using good quality quarter sawn board and back it with sinew.  if I were to attempt one of these for the first time I would follow the advise given on this forum about run off and edge grain.  I personally would look for straight grained plain sawn and select a board with one continuous growth ring on back as much as poss.  I also would try and get good late and early ring ratio board to start with for a first sinew backed board bow.  Sounds like other sawn boards will work too which is good to know.  For me sinew is reserved for more special projects and hard to come by. Not to mention a lot of processing labour.  It would have to be a mightly fine board for me to pass up a stave with even mediocre rings that is waiting for a sinew backing.  I’ve got some belly drops of tight 100 ring per inch yew heart wood that I’m thinking would be a good candidate for a sinew backed option.  I have enough belly drops to keep me busy I guess that I wouldn’t go hunting the lumber yards.  I realize that not everyone has the access I do to wood.  This may be why I haven’t made such a bow yet.  That being said I think it’s a great way to get started and inexpensive too.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com