Author Topic: Pithy early wood in a red oak board  (Read 737 times)

Offline JoeC

Pithy early wood in a red oak board
« on: January 08, 2024, 09:25:22 pm »
Hi Guys,
I am working on another board bow - a red oak board.  Maybe it's me, but the early wood on this board seems to be particularly pithy (soft, spongy). Is this normal for red oak?

The board is flat sawn and I am planning to back it with rawhide. Should I scrap it and move on? Is this a waste of rawhide?

Thanks,
Joe

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Pithy early wood in a red oak board
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 11:17:25 pm »
Yeah, some red oak can act like it is all but punk wood. I suspect it is really fast growing trees putting on a lot of bulk but virtually no substance.

As many have discovered, lower density woods within a species tend to yield low performing bows. I made my first bow from a green ash stave that was very dense, it grew in a tiny draw on the edge of the South Dakota badlands, about 80 yrs old and 5 inches across. Every green ash I have cut since then has been grown as an ornamental in someone's yard and they have been up to 18 inches across and just 40-50 years old. Thick growth rings one would think are better, but some of them have made bows over 3/8th thick in the limb and still only pulling 30# of draw weight. Absolutely useless, good for nothing but kindling a fire.

When I go through the boards in my local box store I pick for grain orientation on all four sides, being exceedingly picky. Then once I have a couple candidates I start comparing them for weight. I take the heaviest ones and put the light ones back.

Post a pic of the end grain. Let's see how open and spongey it is!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JoeC

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 09:48:38 pm »
JW, I've already roughed out the bow, so this is a photo of the end of a piece I cut off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 11:43:43 am »
Wood cut for lumber isn't treated the same from the stump as wood cut for bows. That's why you have to hand pick store bought lumber for bows. I've noticed red oak boards from Lowe's or Home Depot is light in the hand where any red oak I've ever cut is pretty heavy. Go to a saw mill and see how the logs are treated at the saw mill, stacked outside until it's ready to saw into lumber.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoeC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 09:18:01 pm »
Yeah, for some odd reason there wasn't a large selection when I looked through their boards. This one was pretty straight grained, but I didn't notice the early wood to late wood ratio.

Live and learn I guess. I'm going to finish it just to see how it turns out.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 11:54:50 am »
Yeah, for some odd reason there wasn't a large selection when I looked through their boards. This one was pretty straight grained, but I didn't notice the early wood to late wood ratio.

Live and learn I guess. I'm going to finish it just to see how it turns out.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned as a member of the International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators is that every bird "is a study of one". The point being made is that while a redtail most often behaves like a redtail and a prairie falcon most often behaves like a prairie falcon, EVERY bird has their very own quirks and personality traits. You have to take each one for what it is and work within those specific parameters.

And the very same applies in a one-to-one correlation with primitive archery. Every stave, every board, every shaft, every batch of hide glue, etc...is a study of one. So when you say live and learn you are applying that teaching principle to your growing knowledge base in this craft. That's a great way to approach every new project! 

Good luck, and please post your progress as you go!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 09:59:41 am »
Well said JW, we are all still learning and as for me with every piece of wood I learn something, I tell people that I am looking for the prefect stave or piece of wood , after 35+ years of looking I still haven't found it, seems their is always something,  ??? maybe someday.  :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good