Author Topic: Questions and answers  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Questions and answers
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 08:33:51 am »
Thanks Del I new someone had tried this . I never do anything new just revive someone else’s Pryor thinking. 🤠🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 12:28:52 pm »
I think Badger tested a bow built by Dave Dewey thqat was built to spec and never drawn previous to testing. maybe Steve can comment on how close to tiller it came out, I do recall it performed rather well.

That was woodbear's red oak challenge bow. He designed it with his spreadsheet, cut it to the dimensions from the sheet and worked it up to brace just to be sure it looked OK and then sent it to badger. Steve then exercised it out to 28" (or whatever the test draw length was) and test shot it. IIRC it came in a few pounds heavy, so badger then tillered it back to the target draw weight and tested it some more.

That red oak lam bow of mine you dredged up out of the swamp the other day was done similarly. I built the bow completely from calculated dimensions, put it on the tree and just worked it out to 28" with no tillering at all. The bend you see in the pics is how it came off the form with no tweaking at all.

Mark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2024, 02:39:09 pm »
Has anyone ever taken a bow with set or heat treated a finished bow  to say 300-350 degrees and brushed hide glue into the hot opened pours of the wood and the let it cool for a couple days . If so what was the results?

I'm thinking the 350 degrees might be a bit too much heat for the hide glue

I used conifer resins but I also tried tung oil, didn't seem to make any difference
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2024, 12:02:09 am »
....with no tillering at all. The bend you see in the pics is how it came off the form with no tweaking at all.

Mark

I dunno if a bow shot in the unlimited class needs to be tested for draw weight prior to shooting in competion, or even if a 51 lb bow could be competive in that class, but the possibility of shooting a previously undrawn bow is intriguing.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2024, 12:58:02 am »
I dunno if a bow shot in the unlimited class needs to be tested for draw weight prior to shooting in competion, or even if a 51 lb bow could be competive in that class, but the possibility of shooting a previously undrawn bow is intriguing.

About 10 years ago I built a bow and only tillered it out to about 23" and then projected the draw weight out to 28". So, it's not 100" accurate but very close. When I tested the bow I rapidly took it right to 28" and got phenomenal speed. ( It was a very extreme recurve design. The first shot was the fastest at 215 fps and it went steady down with each shot until it got down to 157 fps and lost about 18#. It settled in at about 178 fps with 10 grains per pound.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2024, 10:19:52 pm »
A couple things to consider would be moisture lost to evaporation and moisture absorption upon contact with the wood. I’m not sure how that would impact any absorption of glue particles into the wood. I’m also not sure if hide glue is even small enough to fit into wood other than larger gaps in the grain like the early wood. I know PVA glued only interact on the very surface so I wonder if hide glue is similar.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2024, 11:52:17 am »
Ryan I hear ya. I know that the wood opens up With heat. Just was wondering if glue of some kind might be a fix  for the compressed belly. Also this is a good thread that could have other questions I guess.👍
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!