Author Topic: Just gotta vent!  (Read 971 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Just gotta vent!
« on: January 24, 2024, 10:37:40 pm »
So I have been working on a project that requires fairly historically correct Upper Great Plains arrows. With that in mind, I have been contacting a number of museums and private collectors asking for access to their collections in order to document the real thing, not the tourist trade drek.

So far, I have had positive response from museums including the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody Wy, the Missouri College of Anthropology (home of the Dr. Charles Grayson Collection!), Museum of the Fur Trade, Museum of the Mountain Man, and even interest in cooperation from National Museum of the American Indian/SMITHSONIAN!

But who turns me down? The Journey Museum right here 3.2 miles from my own front door! I simply cannot stand this travesty of a "museum". There were 5 museums here in Rapid City, including the Black Hills Native American Museum, that were arm-twisted into donating their entire collections to create this one "super" museum. A quarter of a billion dollars went into this monument to stupidity, and all five museums individual collections were packed away and hidden from the public. Instead, the whole operation is a boondoggle celebration of what happens when you give a lot of money to a bunch of politicians. Their displays are almost totally dedicated to large plexiglass signs with pictures and incredibly inaccurate descriptions....and very few actual artifacts on display!

It's all show and no substance. For example, they have a wall of deep shadow boxes. In the back of each of the shadow boxes there is an item. The glass front is smoked glass and unless the light comes on in the box you cannot see what it contains. The lights come on randomly and are only on for a few seconds, no time to take in or study the item in the shadow box. I remember the first time I saw this. There was a copy of the original map of the Custer Expedition of 1874 to the Black Hills. I was trying to determine the route the Expedition took after the burial of the soldier that accidentally shot himself. The grave is easy to find, but on private land. But of course, there was no way to get a good look at the map to figure that out. How nice! They spent tens of thousands of tax dollars on a crappy bunch of blinking lights! Another feature is the original entrance to the museum...a set of double doors that block ALL light from entering the long hallway that is carpeted floor to floor, up the walls, and across the ceiling with BLACK CARPET. A sensor registers the presence of visitors and after interval pinpoints of light appear in the carpeting - supposedly simulating deep space and distant stars. It is supposed to invoke a feeling of what it must have been like when the universe was new. What actually happened multiple times daily is that people would become disoriented and lose their balance. Well, one of the features of the newly spawned universe is gravity. Yup. Multiple injuries, including an elderly person that shattered their hip and subsequently died in the hospital.

I gave them a chance. I really did. But despite how I speak three languages and have accumulated a broad lexicon of foul language in at least a dozen others, I simply ran out of words to express what I feel about this dump.

I thought the purpose of a museum was to collect historically important items and use them to educate people about the value of the items and what stories they can tell us. Maybe they are just there to gatekeep and prevent that from actually happening.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

Re: Just gotta vent!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 05:04:13 am »
That's a shame JW  (A)!  Typical "Boondoggle" after the "Ins" get thier sticky Fingers on things.  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 09:39:17 am »
Feel better now JW.  ;) :) Our small one in Dover near Land between the Lakes is about the same way, use to be pretty cool with the history and artifact's from that area when the native people still lived there, not so much anymore, it use to belong to the TVA, now under the forestry dept.since then everything changed, mostly just pictures and a lot of reading.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 11:03:12 am »
I bet that feels better.

Deep breath. Hold exhale.

To bad it’s not a more permanent solution

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online TimBo

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 09:57:11 pm »
Wow, that's terrible. And I'm sure it's hard to ignore, since it's right in your backyard. Grrr!
(But let me know if you make it down to Columbia for the Grayson Collection! I am only 90 miles away.)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 02:51:33 pm »
That's ridiculous.  Ideas that sound good on paper in someone's meeting.  I've noticed the trend toward a lot of museums becoming "Interpretive Centers," with pictures and written displays instead of letting people see the actual items.  I have to conclude that that's what people want, or they wouldn't do it that way.  (It's usually all about $$)  I prefer a mix of both.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 09:44:06 pm »
You may have seen articles in the news lately about museums completely blocking off access to any displays related to Native Americans. This is due to new and greatly expanded interpretation of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.

But my issue with my local museum goes back before this current kerfluffle. They have been an empty pot since they day they opened.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.