Author Topic: Yew school  (Read 2420 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: Yew school
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 11:42:51 am »
Lookin good.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 02:12:58 pm »
I haven’t used it yet but, I thought Del’s use of the sticks was a great way to get a really good visual of what your limbs are doing..
Looks like you’re coming along nicely..

Offline Doug509

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 10:45:26 am »
Thanks for the support.   I have moved to the tiller tree with a low brace.  I have string alignment through the handle but the limbs are far from vertical.   Tried heat bending but the limbs just won't budge anymore. Should I be happy with what I have and keep tillering or do I need to stop and correct the string alignment?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2024, 11:14:08 am »
Doug.  Looks good so far.  I’d get those outers working little more.  I wouldn’t worry about the non perfect parallel limbs. It’s better not to fight it too much.  I’m dealing with the same situation right now on a wonky yew bow that I sinew backed. string alignment and tip alignment is good but it is not straight or parallel in the limbs.  So long as the tips are aligned and string is close to intersecting middle of handle like you have there you are in good shape.  Just be cautions on your wood removal and scrapes.  Yew is easy to work and removal of belly wood can go quickly!  Be sure to scrape evenly along the belly to maintain good depth on both edges of belly and follow the contours best you can checking often with fingers for dips and high spots.  It’s hard to tell from pics sometimes with slight twist in limbs but your right limb may be bending little more on the inner compared to the left one.  All in all looks pretty good at low brace.  Keep us updated

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Doug509

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2024, 03:26:54 pm »
I have been doing some more tillering and have a working bow. I estimate it's at 60lb draw at 28". About 10 lbs more than I would like.   The upper limb on right is 1" longer and has taken about two inches of set.  Not sure if I keep removing wood if the amount of set will get worse. Tillering gizmo tells me to remove more wood from the end of each limb.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2024, 08:02:51 pm »
Looks good Doug.   Yes I would agree the outers could bend a little more to my eye anyway. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2024, 10:25:22 pm »
Awesome work! If it was me I’d get the right limb bending more mid limb and into the fade a little more. I see a slight hinge but nothing to be worried about if you’ve got weight to reduce. But looking great!
Where abouts are you located?

Offline Doug509

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2024, 10:38:22 am »
Thanks for your feedback.   I'll keep after it and work on the final tillering.   Home for me is Cliffdell, WA.