Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Source for steel "trade points" arrowheads

(1/2) > >>

JW_Halverson:
I had someone order a dozen arrows from me, wanting me to duplicate the Upper Great Plains native style arrows. He kicked and screamed at the price which happens to be 1/3 of what he would pay at 3Rivers for their primitive arrows. So, I sent him links to a number of well-known bowyers/arrow makers so he could see I was giving him a super bargain. Yeah, he agreed and ordered the arrows.

Now today he comes back and says he decided he is going to use them for hunting and I had to break it to him that he better check his state regs on arrowheads because these Plains trade points are a scant 3/4 inch wide. Sure enuff, he needs inch and a quarter!

I have been everywhere I can think online, 3R, Crazy Crow, Track of the Wolf, Primitive Pathways, EBay, and Etsy, as well as a dozen small time one horse operations and no one makes a trade point that wide (because they were NEVER that wide). All that being said, I am putting this out there to the wider community to see if anyone has or can find me a dozen kinda-sorta trade point looking broadheads that are an inch and a quarter wide.

Anyone?

Pat B:
John, you can build them pretty easily with an old circular saw or big bandsaw blades. I side grinder will cut them out and put an basic edge on them.

JW_Halverson:

--- Quote from: Pat B on February 19, 2024, 06:24:53 pm ---John, you can build them pretty easily with an old circular saw or big bandsaw blades. I side grinder will cut them out and put an basic edge on them.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I could, but my angle grinder burned out a couple years ago and I haven't needed one since. As it is, this commission is going to pay me $2 an hour for my labor and I just don't want to put in much more effort. Especially since he had called me a crook for quoting him $150 for a dozen fully primitive handmade arrows that would pass muster at the most diligently juried re-enactment event. I am still plenty surprised he had the nerve to come back and order them. I should have raised my price!  >:(

Pat B:
Try Trading Post and see if someone will make some for you. I know you must have something to trade.
The trade points I've used were from 3Rivers but they weren't for hunting.

GlisGlis:
out of curiosity I did a search and the only one I found are on abowyer com site under "trade points"
Maybe not the most accurate historical look but the size is correct

or you may start hammering spoons  (f)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version