Author Topic: Source for steel "trade points" arrowheads  (Read 1419 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Source for steel "trade points" arrowheads
« on: February 19, 2024, 05:42:49 pm »
I had someone order a dozen arrows from me, wanting me to duplicate the Upper Great Plains native style arrows. He kicked and screamed at the price which happens to be 1/3 of what he would pay at 3Rivers for their primitive arrows. So, I sent him links to a number of well-known bowyers/arrow makers so he could see I was giving him a super bargain. Yeah, he agreed and ordered the arrows.

Now today he comes back and says he decided he is going to use them for hunting and I had to break it to him that he better check his state regs on arrowheads because these Plains trade points are a scant 3/4 inch wide. Sure enuff, he needs inch and a quarter!

I have been everywhere I can think online, 3R, Crazy Crow, Track of the Wolf, Primitive Pathways, EBay, and Etsy, as well as a dozen small time one horse operations and no one makes a trade point that wide (because they were NEVER that wide). All that being said, I am putting this out there to the wider community to see if anyone has or can find me a dozen kinda-sorta trade point looking broadheads that are an inch and a quarter wide.

Anyone?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Source for steel "trade points" arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 06:24:53 pm »
John, you can build them pretty easily with an old circular saw or big bandsaw blades. I side grinder will cut them out and put an basic edge on them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 08:18:02 pm »
John, you can build them pretty easily with an old circular saw or big bandsaw blades. I side grinder will cut them out and put an basic edge on them.

Yeah, I could, but my angle grinder burned out a couple years ago and I haven't needed one since. As it is, this commission is going to pay me $2 an hour for my labor and I just don't want to put in much more effort. Especially since he had called me a crook for quoting him $150 for a dozen fully primitive handmade arrows that would pass muster at the most diligently juried re-enactment event. I am still plenty surprised he had the nerve to come back and order them. I should have raised my price!  >:(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 12:47:42 am »
Try Trading Post and see if someone will make some for you. I know you must have something to trade.
The trade points I've used were from 3Rivers but they weren't for hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 06:33:40 am »
out of curiosity I did a search and the only one I found are on abowyer com site under "trade points"
Maybe not the most accurate historical look but the size is correct

or you may start hammering spoons  (f)

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 08:16:32 pm »
Pine Hollow Longbows usually has some.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Chuckalong

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 02:04:03 pm »
Mr Halverson: I have some cabinet scrapers I'm trying to get rid of that are great for cutting arrows out of. You cN do it really easily with a dremel.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 05:57:45 pm »
In talking with the guy, I think I have convinced him that these soft steel trade points are really not what he wants. I have tried to get them to take an edge in the past, but that edge rolls pretty easy on this low-quality steel. He wants to hunt deer and I sent him links to several brands of quality broadheads. He picked out the broadheads that he wants and is sending them to me.