Author Topic: Drawknife -how to find a good one  (Read 13708 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Drawknife -how to find a good one
« on: May 25, 2008, 04:03:51 pm »
I pondered where to post this... so I ended up considering this a request for 'HowTo find a good drawknife'  :)

I've been out using my farriers rasp on an oak sapling - rasp over rasp over rasp, my shoulder is killing me and I'm hardly making any progress shaping this thing out.  Without easy access to a bandsaw, I want to get a draw knife.   I was just perusing some used one's online - as my luck typically has it, I'll order one and later find that it won't sharpen, its cheap metal, etc.   

Can you suggest a good way to find a good draw knife?  Or suggest things to look for to know if one, well, sucks?   Or PM me and sell me your favorite one.  ;D  Ok, I'll settle for your not so favorite one that at least works.

Thanks guys!

Mike

ps, I'd even be open to learning how to make one out of rocks.  Lots of basalt here, it can get pretty sharp as my hands reveal after climbing a spire or two.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Drawknife -how to find a good one
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:20:02 pm »
Mike ...I bought the Three I got on line....two Hibbard Spencer Drawknives from eBay and one Flexcut....and a Pfeil Drawknife....You cant go wrong with an old Hibbard....just look at the Handles and the Blade in the Auction....and ask them questions too....I have both of mine from eBay for Years....the Flexcut is my newest...and neatest Drawknife....you can....like the Name suggests....flex it and make rounded cuts....its pretty cool....but too small for really hogging off the big stuff....PM me if you want some places to buy one........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

bow kid44

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 07:54:02 pm »
try goin to a gunshow

Offline Tom_Brone

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:31:13 pm »
For me a good drawknife is an old not so sharp one. I bought mine at a flee market a year and a half ago from a very friendly old man. He always has a nice little stand with old woodworking tools. I had the drawknife sharpened by a friend I know who is a carpenter. The first time I used it I wasn't impressed, but after sanding the edge a bit myself and using it a couple of times on a left over ash board, I really began to like it. I only use it for the rough shaping of a bow tough because it sometimes shears of to much wood, especially if the wood has interlocking grain (such as ash).

My drawknife isn't perfectly straight either, it has a concave blade.

Tom

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:21:59 pm »
Thanks Tom,

My plan is to use it for rough shaping as well - my neighbor gets all squeemish when he sees me carrying a stave over each arm toward his shop.  He's very particular about his saws and I don't blame him - especially when I bring over not so dry trees, which leave behind sap and don't glide across the cutting shelf like his sawn lumber does.   I think its time to get back to basics anyway.

I've read too, that a less sharp draw knife is preferred by many.  Thats good, cuz I seem to have problems sharpening anything.  grin.

Thanks too senior Destructo for your PMs and assistance finding one online.  I keep getting outbid, but soon - I'll win one of these. :)
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:10:52 pm »
                                                   Mike.....I aint bidding against Ya .....Honest!!!!

:o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:58 pm »
My favorite drawknife is a 5" Flexcut. It is more delicate then the larger ones, so it is not best for debarking large staves (I know through experience-broke both handles off of my first one :P).
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:02:18 pm »
baught mine at an ace hardware... just gotta ask them to order it for you... order before tuesday and you get it in on that friday
death by natural causes

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:32 am »
Mike.....I aint bidding against Ya .....Honest!!!!
Heheh, didn't even cross my mind.  :)

I think I'll check out Ace too, i have one just 2 blocks from my office.   Thanks bm13.

Thanks too, 1/2 primitive - helps to know what folks like to use.  right now, i'm looking for something to really hog off some wood - shaping the new stave. 
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:44:56 pm »
Dont forget to check out antique shops as well. I stopped at one yesterday an picked up a good sharp one for 10$.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:55:14 pm »
Flea markets, I bought two a few weeks ago for five bucks apeice. Their old with character but old steel is usually better grade than new stuff.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 03:57:46 pm »
Excellent ideas - I love to go 'junkin' too - Thanks!!!
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline snag

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »
I like tools that have heart and are experienced...in other words...OLD!  :D   I found one on a bid site that have not been used for splitting wood by being hammered on, and it still had the original wooden handles with metal tips, and it had no rust or pitting, and was relatively sharp. Just have to find the time to put it to work... :-\
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

escanabajosh

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 09:28:25 pm »
E-bay......got 3 off there less then 20 each and all are nice....some better then others......but nice :)

there is a new one on there for like 40 bucks.....might be my new toy soon ;D

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »
               I too like the Old Tools...more Character...better Steel....better Quality than any of the New Ones......
2024...We Will Overcome