Author Topic: I carved another oak shooting line bow stand  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
Re: I carved another oak shooting line bow stand
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 03:38:15 pm »
Nice one Bjrogg  8), is that carved in wood and if what type?
( I'm very happy to be deemed a fellow fun-guy  ;D)
I'm thinking with my oak board offcuts when I make the time, I'd try for a toadstool type from two pieces joined, using a nice facing grain, or even a knot, for the cap part, and a snakey shape for the stalk, i got some chunks of holly that would make good for fly agaric types with some added red earth pigment stain, a group of three of various sizes will make great homely side board ornaments.
I got a chunky knotty 50ish" yew stave with punky sapwood just begging for a purpose, it's no good for bow wood but will make a nice character carving of something, im just waiting for a worthy idea for it to come to me,  maybe owls..I dunno...it's easy to get distracted from ongoing projects ive got planned, I got a couple of bow projects to carry on with when it gets a little warmer, and two nice osage staves ready to be worked, and some snakey small diameter English yew staves for bows that will be challenging...and quite a few wood carving projects, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed,  ;D ,I'll keep chipping away at them though :BB,
Thank you very much Pappy, whistling badger.
 All the best for the spring,
R.D.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 04:07:34 pm by Ruddy Darter »
Mon arc, mon cœur. Gardez la foi!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 04:19:13 pm »
It’s some white oak scraps. I’m not sure if you call this carving.
I did it all with a cordless drill and a small sanding disc

Was still fun seeing it take shape

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 04:47:13 pm »
I've yet to try American white oak, I can get it here.
 I find it harder and takes longer with Dremel type tools, I have trouble keeping it from spinning off course, I'm not good with noise and dust either. Here's a pic of some of the gouges I use, not cheap but reasonably affordable, I always keep them very sharp with diamond sharpening stones finished with leather strops with polishing compound and they go through hard wood like butter, i rarely use the mallets save for lugging out larger areas or cutting in joints. I also use these brilliant hand forged Japanese mini rasps for shaping and  cleaning up edges, they remove wood amazingly quick, never dull and leave a 150grit comparable smooth finish, I use various grade aluminium oxide cloth (also a variety of different shaped card scrapers) ,finishing to a 320 grit cloth, sometimes a 400grit if it's a tight fine grained wood. That's what works for me.
 R.D.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:07:31 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 10:43:19 pm »
Thanks for the info Ruddy.

I can see myself getting into carving wood. It is another one of those things I just find really interesting.

I know my dad had some wood carving chisels. He passed and I haven’t been able to find them.

I might have to get my own

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 03:28:38 am »
You're welcome Bjrogg, I hope you get set up for some enjoyable wood carving. :OK
 R.D.