Author Topic: How far, how fast?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline sleek

Re: How far, how fast?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2024, 11:51:09 pm »
Doh!  Ive now read the thread.  I'm still curious if you can reverse-engineer the formula and give me the dimensions I should use.

That said...

Osage Orange recurve with no other reflex
63" total length; 62" n2n
ten inch stiff handle with grip section 1 1/4 " up from center to 2 3/4 below center and 3" fades

(the following dimensions are my best attempt to keep the same proportions from the TBB vol 1 67" osage flat bow that had a 4" grip and 3" fades but grip was laid out = at 2" above and 2" below center...ie = limb lengths...but applying the dimensions equally to a 63" bow with a shorter bottom limb than top limb)

Bottom limb: Fade to beginning of taper = 10 3/4" at 1.5" wide.  Beginning of taper to tip = 14 7/8" tapering evenly from 1.5" to 1/2" tip width with nocks 1/2" from tip.  Stiff tip from from 8 1/4 from tip; Recurve starting at 7 1/4 from tip

Top limb:  Fade to beginning of taper = 11 1/2" at 1.5" wide.  Beginning of taper to tip = 15 3/4" tapering evenly from 1.5" to 1/2" tip width with nocks 1/2" from tip.  Stiff tip from 8 1/2" from tip; recurve starting at 7 1/2" from tip.

These are the rough dimensions of a bow I have laid out for my son's bow.  Stave is limiting me to 1.5" wide max.  I have not yet reduced the tips or cut the handle.  I chose to keep the limbs'  max width lengths and taper lengths proportional to each other since the top limb is longer than the bottom...I figured the fact that the lower limb is shorter will result in it being stronger if the proportions are  the same relative to the top limb.  This might be flawed thinking, but I cannot find anything definitive for upper vs lower limb layout dimensions on bows with shorter bottom limbs in the books I have read.  Please point me to this info if you know where it resides.  Keeping proportional makes sense to my brain, but doing percentages with fractions warped my brain...so I got as close as I could before retiring for the evening to a Whiskey neat...or three.

Anyhoo...I hope you can give me my max draw weight possible without this bow taking set from the dimensions I've listed.  If you need anything more, let me know.  Thanks a ridiculous heap for being willing to do this for us.

I dont mind, just give me a little time to run through your post and pick the info I need. But I want to emphasize, I'm looking for bows that have already been built, their dimensions  and their set. I have already worked out the formula one way to design the bow, now I'm trying to work it backwards with crowd help, to prove it before it advertise it as completed and effective.

Any type wood self bow, any set amount, and draw weight   I'm interested in the stats please. Once I have this process proofed  I want to make an app for your cell phone so the process can be used by everyone.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Re: How far, how fast?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2024, 12:00:48 am »
Doh!  Ive now read the thread.  I'm still curious if you can reverse-engineer the formula and give me the dimensions I should use.

That said...

Osage Orange recurve with no other reflex
63" total length; 62" n2n
ten inch stiff handle with grip section 1 1/4 " up from center to 2 3/4 below center and 3" fades

(the following dimensions are my best attempt to keep the same proportions from the TBB vol 1 67" osage flat bow that had a 4" grip and 3" fades but grip was laid out = at 2" above and 2" below center...ie = limb lengths...but applying the dimensions equally to a 63" bow with a shorter bottom limb than top limb)

Bottom limb: Fade to beginning of taper = 10 3/4" at 1.5" wide.  Beginning of taper to tip = 14 7/8" tapering evenly from 1.5" to 1/2" tip width with nocks 1/2" from tip.  Stiff tip from from 8 1/4 from tip; Recurve starting at 7 1/4 from tip

Top limb:  Fade to beginning of taper = 11 1/2" at 1.5" wide.  Beginning of taper to tip = 15 3/4" tapering evenly from 1.5" to 1/2" tip width with nocks 1/2" from tip.  Stiff tip from 8 1/2" from tip; recurve starting at 7 1/2" from tip.

These are the rough dimensions of a bow I have laid out for my son's bow.  Stave is limiting me to 1.5" wide max.  I have not yet reduced the tips or cut the handle.  I chose to keep the limbs'  max width lengths and taper lengths proportional to each other since the top limb is longer than the bottom...I figured the fact that the lower limb is shorter will result in it being stronger if the proportions are  the same relative to the top limb.  This might be flawed thinking, but I cannot find anything definitive for upper vs lower limb layout dimensions on bows with shorter bottom limbs in the books I have read.  Please point me to this info if you know where it resides.  Keeping proportional makes sense to my brain, but doing percentages with fractions warped my brain...so I got as close as I could before retiring for the evening to a Whiskey neat...or three.

Anyhoo...I hope you can give me my max draw weight possible without this bow taking set from the dimensions I've listed.  If you need anything more, let me know.  Thanks a ridiculous heap for being willing to do this for us.

How wide is it 8.5 from the tip?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others