Author Topic: Mulberry belly split-chase a ring?  (Read 458 times)

Offline paulc

Mulberry belly split-chase a ring?
« on: March 17, 2024, 04:57:43 pm »
Hello all, took a belly split off a mulberry stave....I need to chase a ring correct? Could I get away w a 1/8" hickory backing and NOT chasing a ring? Or chase a ring and back it?  The few hickory bows I've made I didn't chase a ring and so far they haven't blown.

Thanks! Paul

Offline Muskyman

Re: Mulberry belly split-chase a ring?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 05:16:23 pm »
I think, if I remember correctly, that mulberry is in the Osage family or it could be the other way around and Osage is in the mulberry family. Seem to remember people on here saying that they chase a ring on a mulberry stave. With hickory what I’ve read is to remove the bark and cambium and use that for the back of your bow. I’m sure others with much more experience than me will chime in. I’m pretty sure that’s right though.
Good luck with your project

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 07:22:26 pm »
 How thick are the rings on your mulberry? eg 1/8", 1/4" etc. Is the wood green or dry?

Mulberry unbacked, its best to chase a ring. Backed with hickory you shouldn't need to, but it all depends on what you are actually dealing with regarding how twisty or knotty the stave actually is, and if it jumped a lot of rings rather than splitting straight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 09:08:02 pm »
Chase a ring on the back. If it's clean no need to back it. Mulberry and osage are related but make a mulberry bow about 10% bigger than an osage bow of the same weight.
 If you back the mulberry you will have to flatten the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 08:59:53 am »
I always chase the ring on Mullberry, as Pat said make a little wider and it will turn out a little thicker for the same weight as Osage, they are physically much lighter also, a pleasure to carry in the woods.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good