Author Topic: How can I fix this  (Read 1385 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: How can I fix this
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 01:15:59 pm »
This is a good thread and will help someone out. Good info here.  I’ve referred to the sticky mentioned myself a number of times.  On another note…prevention.   there are some things that can be done earlier on in tiller process to prevent the issue from even happening.  I know this isn’t going to help those who are already in the situation where the need to correct an issue but figured I’d mention it here anyway as it’s related.  Early on in my bow builds I now take careful measurements or use my finger calipers depending on the type of bow build I’m doing to make certain the limbs are even thickness on both sides and that the string is running centered on the handle grip area.  I do this visual and physical inspection using calipers or fingers as I floor tiller to get to low brace.  I normally don’t add recurves this early on.   I find that taking the time early on to do careful bulk wood removal to get to low brace is key to having a better outcome when stringing the bow for the first time.  I rarely use the scraping strong side method to correct string alignment or tip alignment or twist this early on.  I do as pappy mentioned above and heat it with dry heat to make those small corrections.  The minor heat corrections after the fact seem to resolve most of these type issues for me.  For heat treated white woods this is not an option to correct after the fact.  It is what it is after heat treatment.  One of the downsides to heat treatment of white woods.  To resolve issues of alignment and tip twist you are left with the sanding or scraping on strong side. 

When scraping for weight reduction on a low braced flat bow for example taking curls evenly with a sharp scraper tool helps.  I use my pencil and my bent middle finger running along the back to draw a parallel marks on the belly to do bulk belly removal at a slight angle right to the line following as close a possible.  Doing this one thing alone will prevent many alignment issues getting to low brace while floor tillering.  The tiller stick is a great tool too as it can show a strong and weak side of belly when bending limbs with long string.  I’ve seen that as well looking down my limbs while bent to pick up on this early and take necessary measures.  It’s an often overlooked and underestimated part of the bow build process.  At low brace careful attention to maintain good even scrapes from then on is key to maintaining your string and tip alignment.  If I notice it’s veering off to one side I’ll concentrate my scrapes a little more on the strong side to stay ahead of it early.  I constantly look down the limbs while strung to stay on top of alignment all the way through.  I also like to leave mine strung for several hours to let the bow “settle”. Exercise of limbs after each session of scrapes is necessary practice to see what effect that wood removal has made.  With my first few bows I would make this mistake and often take uneven scrapes that were not caught in time and got away from me because I didn’t exercise the limbs after removal.  Very important to always check what effect your removal makes each time you scrape.  Uneven removal can be compounded in a way and missed if this step is not done.  Again early detection is your friend.  Scrape session exercise, scrape session and exercise and repeat! 

I personally like having my string and tips aligned in center of bow.  If I end up with a good shooter that leans a bit to the left shelf side I have to fight my ocd to not move it over with heat.  I sometimes succumb to this and tweek it over to no benefit at all other then my ocd brain needing it!  I’ve been able to just leave a few off a bit but it admittedly bothers me.  It’s a me problem I know.   I have a bow that I have unfinished because it shoots so good being a little left of center and I know if I start messing with it I could damage it or cause it to potentially hurt performance and Or shoot ability.  Anyway I guess it’s a good problem to have and I just needed to take a break from it and resist the urge to mess with it.  Sometimes it’s best to do that as already was mentioned.  To boil all this rambling down… prevention is obviously better and achieved if good floor tiller belly wood removal methods are used early on.  Hope this helps.  Sorry for rambling.  😁
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 02:39:14 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bruce M

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 12:15:38 pm »
An update with successs.
I decided to take a shot at flipping the tips and trying to center the string, I had good results at that point but not fully. I let it sit for a while and then locked down the tips in a form and pulled the handle to just past the point of center and heat treated the whole bow with dry heat.
The result was perfect and though I haven't pulled the bow to full draw yet I have gone half draw and I am getting good weights (31# @ 19" draw) so I'll probably end up close to my low 50's target weight if I don't get over zealous with the continuing tillering.
Thank you all for the suggestions to rectify this issue, this forum and the people that make it up are a treasure.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:01:38 pm by Bruce M »

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 02:16:18 pm »
I’m thinking that’s what I would’ve done.

Looking good Bruce.

If you need to take any more off I think the first couple inches out of your fades could be a little stiff yet. Especially the right one.

Don’t have it in front of me on a tree, but it looks a little thicker and seems a little stiff in braced picture.

If you do take some be careful. You don’t want to get it bending to much there. Just so it thinks about moving

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 10:09:10 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 11:18:51 pm »
Looking good Bruce. Looks like you’re really close if not there already.
Good looking bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 09:34:27 am »
Glad it's working out, looks nice so far. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline pierce_schmeichel

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 03:35:19 pm »
I know this input won't really help with fixing it but will definitely help with this problem in the future, but I personally like to just make the handle section wider because if you don't have both sides of each limb tillered to the same thickness it will always warp over to the side like that and even if you heatcorrect it it will eventually bend back. But to be honest at the same time your bow is pretty long and I'd say it would have probably been safe to just leave it with the bend in it. Like Pat B said earlier it just helps make the bow a little more center shot.

On shorter bows that are meant to bend through the handle it matters a lot more because then the bow would be putting tension on one side of the limb and then it is putting tension onto wood that is more vulnerable to breaking under tension.