Author Topic: Tapering a Osage slat question  (Read 1138 times)

Offline razorbak

Re: Tapering a Osage slat question
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 10:28:12 am »
Well I got to say my luck sucks unwrap the Osage/boo blank this morning and noticed during the night the Osage cracked and open up on the end of the splice thru a knot on the belly side and I only put like 3” of reflex in the blank and was gonna glue up a handle this evening
Now I’m gonna clean up the sides and see if I can squeeze some ea40 in the crack, would this save the blank? I have a couple pictures but can’t figure how to post it here. The crack is horizontal and visibly opened?

Offline razorbak

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 10:32:04 am »
Hello Mr .Eric I been following your threads and trying to do everything you told me to do in the PM I finally learned properly to do a Z splice thru your advice. I just can’t believe this luck I been having. I’ll send the pics to your email you sent a while back

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 11:33:34 am »
That knot got you but all is not lost. Glue up the crack, add a handle piece on top of it and make your fades at least 2 1/2" long so the area is non-bending. Sandwiched between the bamboo and handle it should hold up.

Long fades on a BBO, I find the ends are much less likely to lift if you put down a couple of 1/8" shims first before you add the thicker handle piece on top of these.

Offline razorbak

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 11:36:32 am »
Thank you sir I sent pics to your email not sure if you received it. I plan to have the fades at least 3” to be  safe

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 03:25:56 pm »
I got the pictures

Offline razorbak

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2024, 06:00:28 pm »
Well this one is a wrap. While cleaning it up so I can reglue the crack it decided to break even more with the slightest pressure and looking inside it look pithy and very very dry if that makes sense. Looks like I’m all done until I can secure more material. This just sucks. Thanks all for the advice

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2024, 07:01:12 pm »
That sucks razorbak. Hopefully your next stave is perfect. Maybe someone on here knows a way around it.. lot of knowledge on here. I’ve seen posts where they fixed some crazy stuff. Seems like I remember someone drilling out some bad areas and plugging them.. or maybe I dreamed it..
post pictures of it, you never know.

Offline razorbak

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2024, 08:06:08 pm »
Thank you guys for the support I’m not sure when I’ll be attempting another build as 13 failures took the wind out of my sails
I had cut a log of hickory back in the fall and sealed it after splitting it and just went to check it out and it twisted in opposite directions on both ends and I’m not gonna attempt that one. I might go looking for another hickory tree this weekend but at this point I got to get motivated again because I’m beyond frustrated with all these failures
I remember an article that Mr. Torges wrote about cutting a plug and patching a limb but I don’t have that skill set

Offline superdav95

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2024, 11:47:01 pm »
Thank you guys for the support I’m not sure when I’ll be attempting another build as 13 failures took the wind out of my sails
I had cut a log of hickory back in the fall and sealed it after splitting it and just went to check it out and it twisted in opposite directions on both ends and I’m not gonna attempt that one. I might go looking for another hickory tree this weekend but at this point I got to get motivated again because I’m beyond frustrated with all these failures
I remember an article that Mr. Torges wrote about cutting a plug and patching a limb but I don’t have that skill set

I’ve got a good straight hickory stave if interested.  Let me know.  Starting with good straight stave will likley make a big difference. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline razorbak

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2024, 08:05:55 am »
Dave thank you sent you a message