Author Topic: Why'd this board break?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Why'd this board break?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 01:36:39 pm »
Soft backings like the FG tape, silk, linen, heavy paper, etc will help prevent splinters from lifting but will not prevent a bow from breaking. The grain along the back is critical but the grain along the sides is just as critical and along the sides is one place many folks don't consider. Finding a board that has appropriate grain, back and sides is virtually impossible when looking at the wood supply at a big box store and even your standard lumber company. Places that sell quarter sawn lumber like specialty lumber suppliers is a better option.
 Your best bet for a successful bow would be a stave or billets joined at the handle, a piece of wood that will allow you to locate and chase a good clean back for your bow.
 You beat me to it, Willie.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 02:38:38 pm »
Soft backings like the FG tape, silk, linen, heavy paper, etc will help prevent splinters from lifting but will not prevent a bow from breaking. The grain along the back is critical but the grain along the sides is just as critical and along the sides is one place many folks don't consider. Finding a board that has appropriate grain, back and sides is virtually impossible when looking at the wood supply at a big box store and even your standard lumber company. Places that sell quarter sawn lumber like specialty lumber suppliers is a better option.
 Your best bet for a successful bow would be a stave or billets joined at the handle, a piece of wood that will allow you to locate and chase a good clean back for your bow.
 You beat me to it, Willie.  :OK

Well said. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Jake Spoon

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 07:23:12 pm »
Thank you guys again for the guidance. I will make finding a decent piece of wood first priority.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2024, 10:41:36 pm »
Thank you guys again for the guidance. I will make finding a decent piece of wood first priority.

Our great friend, Weylin Olive  turned out a killer Youtube series on making a board bow. He covers EVERY necessary aspect, and in detail. Check out his first installment about picking your board:
https://youtu.be/RL_PLX1kWx4?si=npqAq-GY1koDdoEd
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2024, 08:36:08 pm »
For a long time now the only backing I use on bows is sinew. More work ,but well worth it in the long run.