Author Topic: Osage Cherokee bow  (Read 1061 times)

Offline osageknot316

Osage Cherokee bow
« on: April 03, 2024, 05:50:57 pm »
Hey all,
This is an osage cherokee bow I've been working on. The current draw weight is 60# @25." The length is 61." I think the top limb (right) is bending a bit more. Is this ok or should the tiller be perfected further. I just don't really want to remove any more weight if possible. Thanks!

Offline superdav95

Re: Osage Cherokee bow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 06:55:47 pm »
I think it looks pretty good but here are some ideas for small improvements that could be made. Here’s another look for your tiller.  If it were me I might get the outer limb on left side working little more to round out the bend.  The other potential issue I see is a slight hinge developing mid limb on right side.  Here’s a pic with an elliptical as a reference visual for you.  It’s hard to tell for certain as the pic may be on an angle too.  Have a look at this as an indicator where an issue may be.   Hope this helps.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 07:00:34 pm »
A picture of the bow unstrung, in the same orientation as the strung bow, will show you where the set is happening. If one limb has more set than the other that limb is weaker than the other. Its not unusual for the upper limb to be bending a little more, due to the way most people draw the bow(more stress occurs in the lower limb, so it needs to be stronger, and not bend as much). It will also show if you are starting to get a hinge if the set occurs abruptly at one spot.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 07:46:16 pm »
A picture of the bow unstrung, in the same orientation as the strung bow, will show you where the set is happening. If one limb has more set than the other that limb is weaker than the other. Its not unusual for the upper limb to be bending a little more, due to the way most people draw the bow(more stress occurs in the lower limb, so it needs to be stronger, and not bend as much). It will also show if you are starting to get a hinge if the set occurs abruptly at one spot.

I agree

I think your tiller looks pretty good. At least without see the unbraced profile.

I think I would shoot it and see how it feels.

If one limb is weaker make it the top limb

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 08:32:32 pm »
A picture of the bow unstrung, in the same orientation

yes please. It may well be the mid outer on the right could bend more, but without a point of reference, its hard to tell

btw, a good pratice is to establish a reference by tracing the back whoopdedos on a piece of cardboard before beginning tiller. If set becomes localized early in the process, its easier to see when a comparision to the original can be made.

a pic from the front would be nice too!

Offline osageknot316

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 10:41:50 pm »
I think it looks pretty good but here are some ideas for small improvements that could be made. Here’s another look for your tiller.  If it were me I might get the outer limb on left side working little more to round out the bend.  The other potential issue I see is a slight hinge developing mid limb on right side.  Here’s a pic with an elliptical as a reference visual for you.  It’s hard to tell for certain as the pic may be on an angle too.  Have a look at this as an indicator where an issue may be.   Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting the image with the arch. Very helpful. I took your advice and rounded out the bend a bit. Thanks a lot for your help.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 11:10:57 pm by osageknot316 »

Offline osageknot316

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 01:46:09 pm »
A picture of the bow unstrung, in the same orientation

yes please. It may well be the mid outer on the right could bend more, but without a point of reference, its hard to tell

btw, a good pratice is to establish a reference by tracing the back whoopdedos on a piece of cardboard before beginning tiller. If set becomes localized early in the process, its easier to see when a comparision to the original can be made.

a pic from the front would be nice too!

Hi Willie, thanks for the advice. As seen here there is a bit of twist but it is still performing very well. Here are some more pictures:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:54:40 pm by osageknot316 »

Offline osageknot316

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 01:53:13 pm »
Thank you all for the advice it has been so helpful.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 03:47:11 pm »
The other potential issue I see is a slight hinge developing mid limb on right side.

It is hard to tell without seeing the unbraced profile if a hinge is developing or that part of the limb is naturally deflexed.
Gordon

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 06:29:26 pm »
The other potential issue I see is a slight hinge developing mid limb on right side.

It is hard to tell without seeing the unbraced profile if a hinge is developing or that part of the limb is naturally deflexed.

Yes thats a fair point.  an unbraced profile would indeed tell us more. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 10:12:33 pm »
If we pay attention to it. The unbraced profile and how it maintains or loses its shape tells us everything.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise