Author Topic: yew stave split for 2 lighter weight bows for local youth group prize and raffle  (Read 3635 times)

Offline superdav95

Hey guys... Another boring yew build I know! but its for a good cause.   Im making a couple lighter weight bows to be donated to a local youth group (12-18).  One will be a charity raffle bow the proceeds of which will go to this group and the other will be a prize for the best shot at the girls camp which i've been asked to attend to give a day of archery instruction.  It should be fun!  Ive done this instruction for the girls for a number of years now and it always amazes me how much they enjoy it.  I figured it would add to the excitement a bit if they new a bow would go to the best shot.  Not exactly sure how will run it just yet as I will have several groups of girls come throughout the day.  I may just take all the names of the girls that hit a bullseye and draw a name.  any ideas???   anyway here are a few pics of the split stave im working with.   Ill be aiming for about 30lbs on top shot bow and 40-45lbs for the raffle bow.  as you can see in the pics here the stave branches off at one end so i may make them shorter draw.  we shall see how it goes when i start shaping them up.  My thinking on the raffle bow is to appeal to as many people hence the 40-45lbs. Most of the girls would likely not be able to shoot this bow very well i suspect.  I will raw hade back these and may decorate them a little.  thanks for following along. cheers!

Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Looks like fun Dave.

I never played with yew yet. I have one yew bow from DVS Hunter and it’s sweet. Doesn’t take much wood for a hunting bow. Pretty impressive stuff

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

Looks like fun Dave.

I never played with yew yet. I have one yew bow from DVS Hunter and it’s sweet. Doesn’t take much wood for a hunting bow. Pretty impressive stuff

Bjrogg

if you ever want a piece to try I can send you a piece if you like.  let me know. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Thanks so much for the offer Dave.

I was thinking about your give away for the best shot.

Maybe instead of for every girl who hit a bullseye.

Give a ticket for every bullseye. If someone gets ten they have a better chance than someone who gets one.

Really cool you are doing this.

Hope the raffle does well.

Bjrogg

Offline razorbak

Wow that’s awesome those young ones gonna be lucky

Offline Hamish

Dave , there is nothing boring about a yew bow build, especially if you are doing it. You might be surprised you can easily get 60lb longbows from each of these staves, if you wanted to. Shortish, bend through the handle, just qualifying as an English longbows, as narrow as 1" wide through the middle 12", will do the trick.

I say this because most kids won't truly appreciate a yew bow. I would be making a whitewood bow for a kid, at least for their first bow(I am a bit of a stingy bastard though ;))

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Dave , there is nothing boring about a yew bow build, especially if you are doing it. You might be surprised you can easily get 60lb longbows from each of these staves, if you wanted to. Shortish, bend through the handle, just qualifying as an English longbows, as narrow as 1" wide through the middle 12", will do the trick.

I say this because most kids won't truly appreciate a yew bow. I would be making a whitewood bow for a kid, at least for their first bow(I am a bit of a stingy bastard though ;))

I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Even the part about myself being a bit stingy. Although I like to think of it as frugal

Bjrogg

Offline superdav95

I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Even the part about myself being a bit stingy. Although I like to think of it as frugal

Bjrogg

You guys are hilarious!  Ya I’m a bit the same myself.  I feel a little pain every time a bow leaves my shop actually.  It sounds silly but not any less true.  My wife giggles at me every time I hand over a bow and comment how I’ll miss it.  Even saying it out loud does sounds funny but that’s me. 

I may rethink it then.  I may do a 5 piece bamboo bow instead for them.  At least this way I can repair easily or replace a section if needed.  Also would put a shelf in the bow too.   I think I’ll do them up regardless and then decide when I see them shooting and if they survive anyway.  Lots can happen between now and finished bows.  Thanks for the input!   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

I got one of these little staves to basic floor tiller.  bend looks pretty good.  I like to sand down my rough work as i go so as to not have any surprises.  Im aiming for around 40-45lbs with this one. Im planning to do longer sweeping fplipped tips on these little bows.  they will be semi working recurves.  heres a few pics of where im at so far.  it has a deflexed top limb midlimb.  I may just match this deflex in the other limb or steam or heat it out straight. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline razorbak

Wow amazed how fast you got that looking like a bow and it looks like it’s gonna be a sweet one. You got some mad skills sir!

Offline superdav95

Thanks razorbak!  I had some time today to work on it and just a few breaks here and there.  this evening i added my sweeping recurves.  i kept them mild.  the heat correction went to plan with the deflex in the top limb.  now they are both straight and will give it  rest overnight.  Thanks for looking and following along.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

one more...

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline razorbak

Wow very impressive !

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Looks great Dave

Want to trade for a piece of firewood?

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Looking good Dave, they are coming along nicely. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good