Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 623 times)

Offline Muskyman

Tree ID
« on: May 15, 2024, 09:28:58 pm »
This tree is scheduled for removal by the power company. It’s on my property and I was told it’s a black locust tree. It has no lower limbs really. It’s tall and forks one time about 40 feet or so up. I’ve already talked with the guy from the power company and told him if it’s black locust I want it cut a certain way to use as bow wood. Best pictures I could get right now.

Offline Kidder

Re: Tree ID
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 10:04:06 pm »
Looks more like honey locust than black locust to me. Black has deeply furrowed bark. Honey is smoother.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 11:07:43 pm »
No spines/thorns on it at all Kidder, not one. I’ve got some honey locust trees.no seed pods around either. I’m going to try and get some better photos of it. Here’s another picture of the bark
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 11:14:10 pm by Muskyman »

Offline upthecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 11:12:46 pm »
I think certain it is black locust. Honey locust of that size will be covered with 3"-4" thorns. And yes the honey locusts bark is smoother but much smoother than what you have there.
Mike

Offline Bill B.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 11:18:42 pm »
  Black walnut maybe?

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 05:39:49 am »
It seems like a black locust tree but not surely.
If it is another locust will also make a nice bow. I would take it and if you can make good fotos of leaves, branches and flowers I can tell you.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 09:57:16 am »
The bark doesn't look right for black Locust which is deeply furrowed and has no edges lifting.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 10:44:21 am »
Went back out and looked at it again today. Kidder might be right. Its leaves seem to be growing in clusters and not like a blank locust does. It’s hard to see good. It’s tall and straight with no lower limbs, I guess because it’s at the bottom of a hill and surrounded by large trees. It doesn’t have any thorns on it though. If it’s honey locust I’ll still get some good firewood. Kinda bummed because I’d hoped to get some nice black locust bow staves.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2024, 11:37:30 am »
The leaves really look like black locust, but the bark looks like maple (or not BL anyway).  Are you sure the leaves belong to that trunk and aren't from a neighboring tree?

Offline Zugul

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2024, 12:40:20 pm »
It cannot be black locust, its compound leaves end with a single leaflet. In the pictures of the foliage you can clearly see the compound leaves end with a cuple of leaves. I hope what I mean is comprehensible, as a non-native english speaker it's quite hard to use botanical specific terms in a clear way to understand  :-[

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 01:00:22 pm »
https://www.arbolappcanarias.es/en/species/info/gleditsia-triacanthos/

https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=30

To me, it seems Gleditsia triacanthos (honey locust). Thorns can have be removed from the trunc or something.

Offline BryanR

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2024, 01:20:31 pm »
It’s an ornamental, or cultivated, honey locust.

Wikipedia - “It’s cultivars are popular ornamental plants, especially in the northern plains of North America where few other trees can survive and prosper. It tolerates urban conditions, compacted soil, road salt, alkaline soil, heat, and drought. The popularity is in part due to the fact that it transplants so easily. Many cultivated varieties do not have thorns.”

I had one in my yard that I just took down because the trunk was splitting. All my research said it was not good at making bows.  Too brittle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2024, 05:26:50 pm »
I agree with Bryan, it's a thornless honey locust. A cultivar used in landscapes. Black locusts have small thorns on the smaller branches and deeply furrowed bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 08:26:22 pm »
I saw something about the thornless honey locust. This tree is in a very wooded area along side the road. No houses near it. It’s weird but, it’s basically in the middle of nowhere, as far as an ornamental tree would go. Oh well, I didn’t really think it was black locust when the guy from the power company told me it was. Firewood it is.

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 09:03:16 pm »
I'm saying honey locust. I'm eyeing a freshly uprooted honey locust that has a forked trunk.
One side is hollow and has absolutely no thorns . The other trunk is loaded with them.
I see many examples of thornless in my area.