Author Topic: Tamarac shafts?  (Read 8325 times)

Offline scattershot

Tamarac shafts?
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:19:19 pm »
Did a search but couldn't find much info. Anyone use tamarac or salt cedar for shafts? It grows all over here. I thought it was willow, but it's not. It grows straight and tall, but I don't know if it would make a strong shaft. Anyone use the stuff?

Thanks
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline david w.

Re: Tamarac shafts?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:31 pm »
people do use it.  I never have but i have seen arrows from it
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:47:44 pm »
I've seen some arrows made from it, and I have one. It seems to me that it is heavy for the spine. I like my arrrows light, so I didn't pursue it as arrow shaft material. It might make good hunting arrows. I am speaking from very limited experience here, so hopefully someone who knows a bit more will chime in.

Even if you don't know if a wood willl make a good arrow, just try it and see if it works. There are probably many unfound arrow woods out there, same as bow wood, that have yet to be tried.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:00:03 pm »
Cut it all down that Salt Cedar is some worthless Crap to have growing anywhere....It has taken over all of the Waterways here in Texas....and it kills out everything under it with the Salt Deposits it leaves in the Soil....I have heard that you can make Bows from it along with Arrows....but I have never messed with it...now Tamarack is some tough stuff...too bad that it has such twisty Grain...because it seems as tough as Douglas Fir...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:18 pm »
It makes good arrows. I have a few shoots that I got from Justin, and I've worked a couple of them into arrows. Like Sean said, it's heavy, but I like that myself, 'specially for hunting arrows. It's plenty tough and seems to  stay straight without warping.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:40:10 pm »
What Hillbilly said.  It does need to be second year growth.  I have been going down to the river and pulling all the little branches so they stay nice and clean.  ;D I have made tamarisk (salt cedar) shafts that spined 60# and weighed 900 grains.  Combine the 900 grains with a naturally tapered shaft and you will get incredible penetration.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:46:39 pm »
Scattershot....do you plan on using Salt Cedar...or Tamarack??? Big Difference here..........Salt Cedar is an Invasive Shrub that serves no purpose other than destroying Native Landscapes.. it will make a decent arrow......Tamarack on the other hand is the most cold-hardy of any native tree and has the strongest wood of all the conifers...but I have never found any that would make a Bow....the wood grain twists too bad

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline scattershot

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:51 am »
Well, I'm not real sure, ElDestructo. I thought they were the same thing. Folks here use the terms interchangeably, I'm told. I'm really confused now. Guess the best thing to do is to cut a few shoots and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:59:34 am »
Well, I'm not real sure, ElDestructo. I thought they were the same thing. Folks here use the terms interchangeably, I'm told. I'm really confused now. Guess the best thing to do is to cut a few shoots and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

Nothing about these Two trees is even close.one is a Massive Strong Conifer.....the Other is a Weed!!!

Read these....

Tamarack
http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2054

Salt Cedar ( tamarisk)
http://www.earlham.edu/~biol/desert/invasive.htm
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline scattershot

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:30:52 pm »
Thanks for the links. The stuff I'm finding doesn't look like either picture. Maybe I'm calling it the wrong name. I'll see if I can post a pic later. Thanks for the help.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:16:53 pm »
It is probably tamarix (salt cedar).  Around here it is usually called tamerak.  http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/saltcedar.shtml Most pictures show a shrub but it is often a tree.  Those pictures that ElDestructo posted show it in the fall when the foliage is dry and looks gold. It is green this time of year and probably has reddish purple blooms.  If you walk through the undergrowth you will wind up with crap stuck in your hair and down your shirt. It cant be avoided.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:54:01 pm »
Like This....

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:25 pm »
Yes except that one has been groomed. Looks more like a fruit tree than a salt cedar.  ;D

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 10:51:53 pm »
                              yep.....them are in a Park....not in a River bottom growing wild !!
2024...We Will Overcome