Author Topic: Spicebush bows?  (Read 9106 times)

radius

Re: Spicebush bows?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 12:21:49 pm »
i'm on the very west coast of bc...i wouldn't see any here anyway...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 11:42:31 am »
Just found this thread-I've got plenty of spicebush here, I'll be on the lookout for a stave. David, have you ever tried spicebush tea? It's good stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »
I did a quick look yesterday but found very little with stems big enough for a bow. I will do a better search this weekend and hopefully I'll find a candidate.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:04 pm »
According to the USDA maps it grows up here but I can't say I have a clue whether it does or not ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 06:02:14 pm »
Cool HIllbilly i hope you find one.  I found a pretty nice one and it should work good i will post pics soon  No i have never tried spicebush tea.  How would i make it? It sounds good

Pat i had a hard time finding one but i eventually did.  I was searching in a lowand swamp sort of area with out boots.  Im never doing that again :)

Dana im sure you have it.  It is a shrub with spotted twigs and shoots.  And if you ever cut one you will definately know
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 01:05:18 pm »
David, just break off a handful of twigs, remove the leaves, and boil the twigs for a few minutes in a small pot of water. turn off the heat and let it steep for awhile, then pour you a cup, and stir a little honey in it if you want. It's great stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 03:27:07 pm »
Awesome im gonna make some sometime.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 05:24:55 pm »
thats an interesting idea. i wonder about sourwood?
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 06:13:32 pm »
Someone made a nice sourwood bow a few years ago. I cut some staves and still have one left but never built a bow with sourwood.
  We could also try an "arrow wood" bow contest. Make a bow out of what you cut for arrows; sourwood, maple, salt cedar, viburnum, hazel(Gordon and BryanB can't use hazel! ;D), etc...even cane.
       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 06:20:24 pm »
thats a great idea. im in!
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 10:00:46 pm »
Pat, come to think of it, I've got a sourwood stave that you gave me years ago. We need to drag out some of that wierd wood that we've been swapping each other. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 12:34:27 am »
The stave I have is a sister to your's Steve.   How bout viburnum or buffalo nut.      Pat

ps, David I'm still looking for spice bush. ;)

Offline david w.

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 12:35:07 am »
this thread has gotten much better.  we should try new unusual woods and who knows maybe well find the next osage ::)

Offline david w.

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 12:45:13 am »
wow pat it must be pretty elusive.  Maybe you forgot to sneak up on it? ??? ;D  that was pretty bad

wow i had the camera out and forgot to take pictures of the stave i might do it later  but the picturees take so long to load onto the computer. i hate doing it.

Right now my mom, sister and sister's friend are watching pride and prejudice so i have nothing else better to do.  They aer only watching it for the actor. if i watched a movie only for the actress i would be slapped >:( well maybe not slaped but you have the idea.
 wow way off topic ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:59 am »
David, I can find in arrow diameter and up to about 1"...maybe a bit larger. There is only one place near me that it grows...along my driveway but on my neighbors property...in a boggy area. I'm sure there is one in there(maybe a set of billets at least).  ;D     Pat