Author Topic: keep breaking on tillering stick  (Read 11740 times)

radius

Re: keep breaking on tillering stick
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 11:40:45 am »
I will set up a tree when i get a real shop, but so far I just tiller for shape in the mirror or a reflective window, then use the tillering stick on a scale to judge the draw weight.

radius

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 11:42:04 am »
so I dont actually hook the string on any notches, and leave it at draw, I just hook the string in a groove at the top, pull the bow down toward the scale, and read the poundage...it's just like you see Jim Hamm doing in his chapter on Tillering.

Offline clintw864

Re: keep breaking on tillering stick. MUlberry
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 11:30:10 am »
I have one bow I made from red mulberry backed with prarie rattler that is a hot shooter.  Has quite a bit of setback which helps I'm sure.  Also just finished a takedown of mulberry backed with maple.  It also is a hot shooter.  Mulberry is about as pretty as osage.  I agree on the hickory, also elm. Clint
Clint Wilson

Rich Saffold

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:06 pm »
Look up floor tillering.

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 01:36:05 pm »
I don't think a tillering stick used for measuring draw weight is gonna hurt a bow near as much as using one to actually tiller.  I see the tiller much better on a tree.  I can draw it multiple times and really see the limb working.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 08:11:10 pm »
I don't think a tillering stick used for measuring draw weight is gonna hurt a bow near as much as using one to actually tiller.  I see the tiller much better on a tree.  I can draw it multiple times and really see the limb working.

but how can you mark the Spots that need attention  on a Tree....and how can you use a Tattle Tale on it....when you have to be standing back pulling on the Rope???

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 08:17:03 pm »
  You look at it and remember where the flat spots were. Then mark it, unless old age is setting in and the memory doesn't last that long. And then, do you know what the next thing is to go? ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 08:28:48 pm »
  You look at it and remember where the flat spots were. Then mark it, unless old age is setting in and the memory doesn't last that long. And then, do you know what the next thing is to go? ::) ;)

The Wife is waiting for that to Happen!!!!! >:D I have a  Tree....but I find myself exercising it and just looking at the Bends on the Tree...and I always end up reverting to the Tiller Stick clamped in my Vice....to use my Tattle Tale on it to mark the spots that need attention.....what was I saying.......awe forget it ....I'll remember here in a Minute!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 10:12:38 pm »
the only thing i use the stick for is to sight down the limbs at partial draw, to see if their twisting. other than that, it sits in the corner.

but how can you mark the Spots that need attention  on a Tree....and how can you use a Tattle Tale on it....when you have to be standing back pulling on the Rope???
[/quote]

i have a friend that marks em for me ;D plus it always is nice to have 2 sets of eyes lookin at the thing....

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.