Author Topic: Cheap and Easy Bamboo Garden Stake Arrows  (Read 7077 times)

George Rogers

Cheap and Easy Bamboo Garden Stake Arrows
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:39:55 pm »
That primitive archery costs little is right and authentic.   As a poor archer pursuing my passion on a bowstring budget, I've found dirt-cheap bamboo garden stakes to make pretty good arrows.   "Pretty good" being the operative word here, we're talking about informal backyard target shooting.
Archery catalogs offer bamboo shafts, but a cheap and accessible alternative costs a couple bucks at any convenient box store.   In front of me sits a plastic sack of 25 "Sturdy Bamboo Plant Stakes" from Ace Hardware.  The green paint comes off in minutes with scraping, sanding, and elbow grease.   
Bamboo is kinky but straightens with heating and bending.  Four to eight seconds over a gas flame softens the shaft for correction. Gloves help avoid scorched fingers until you get the hang of it.  Most of the sticks stay straight after correction, although some rebend a little.  These can usually be re-straightened easily without heat. A few do revert irrevocably to their crooked ways.  For eliminating the thickened nodes, I like a curved spokeshave followed by whittling, scraping, and sanding.   The spokeshave is not critical. 
Spine may be an issue.  Stiffness varies much with bamboo diameter.  Skinny shafts are floppy. My best arrows are at least ¼" or a little larger in diameter when finished.   Unfortunately, not all the stakes in a bag are thick enough, so buy the bag with the thickest stakes and use the culls for tomatoes.  Although it may be merely my imagination, spar varnish seems to stiffen the spine.   A mixed supply of arrow points assures a good fit on the varied shafts, with ¼" and 5/16" points being those I use most.
After thousands of shots with a few dozen bamboo arrows, almost the only breakage has come from over-zealous efforts to straighten kinks.  This is rare---only one shaft has broken on impact, and it hit a solid board.
Anyone shooting with children might enjoy this affordable arrow source.  Groups of kids old enough to use sharp implements could make lots of pleasing "authentic" arrows with little cost and with minimal gear using a safer heat source than a gas flame (steam?  hair dryer?).  When the green paint is removed and the nodes are reduced, the shafts look like wood.  The arrows are fun to decorate: the cleaned bamboo accepts paint, varnish, glues, and artificial sinew readily.

Offline david w.

Re: Cheap and Easy Bamboo Garden Stake Arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:46:37 pm »
thanks for taking the time to type that.  It was very helpful and now i want to try it :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:50:13 pm »
Nice tips Dave.... Just gettin' ready to buy stakes for the 'maters, too! 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:07:07 pm »
Those green boo sticks have always looked tempting to me....but I haven't bought any because of the paint.  I guess I'll have to try them now that you've experimented with them...and the paint seems to come off easily (I thought it was a stain actually).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pamunkey

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:26 am »
If you check around, you'll probably be able to find some without the green paint.  K-Mart used to sell them under the "Martha Stewart" brand name (they might still; I haven't checked in the past couple of years).

Will

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:55:25 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the tip.

The only cane I've tried was Tolkien Cane that I bought at OJAM.  It wasn't real pricey, but OJAM only comes around once a year, so this might fill the gap in between events. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:11:43 pm »
  It's good you brought this up. A lot of people on here that's been around for awhile have forgotten about Martha Stewart tomato stakes that we all used before discovering other sources. If you are concerned about spine, leave the arrows long,32", 33". Also take the shaft and lay it on an angle against a table, apply a little pressure to the middle and roll the shaft. You will see it flip real fast when it gets to the stiff side. This is the side you place against the bow when you are orienting the nocks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?