Author Topic: shooting/targeting  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: shooting/targeting
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 11:32:33 pm »
Interesting. I used to be a realy good shot with my fg bow but am not as good with my bows I make . I think from fear of holding the draw to long. I used to hold for at least a few seconds at full draw and could hit anything. I used gap shooting but after a while I just shot and it was good. I went shooting with a really good shot yesterday and he could hit a 1' target right in dead center at 60+ yards through the woods with trees and brush in the way. I couldnt believe it but it showed me there is no limit to how good you can get. By the way he described his style to me it resembles split vision. I watch him draw. it was really slow then pause for a split second at 3/4 draw then bring it to anchor and release.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 06:29:11 pm »
Also, almost never shoot standing up - usually leaning one way or the other, sitting, crouched, or other plausible hunting shots. Personally, I Ain't never shot a deer while standing up firing 20 arrows like we were facing off at the battle of Hastings.
postman

Similarly, I've found that sometimes I'm more accurate when I'm in awkward positions than when I'm standing straight up. I must concentrate harder when I'm not shooting the usual way. It's good practice to do it in strange ways, too. :)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:47:10 pm »
HUH, I GOT TO START DOING THAT.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 06:52:31 pm »
Howard Hill and G. Fred Asbell bent their knees in the shot. When I have trouble hitting the target I do the same. Usually helps :). It also helps when the bow is nice and long. I recently tried shooting a short bow (62") and though the arrows were spined fine for the bow, I couldn't hit anything. Longer bows let me be lazy ;D

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 12:18:05 pm »
I find accuracy improves too, sean.  I cant the bow quite a bit when dow low- - seems to help with "paradox", and practice on a bucket a little smaller than a 5 - gal. or sit on logs when I go stumping. 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA