Author Topic: Near Miss  (Read 8815 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Near Miss
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:27:58 am »
I just returned (last night) from the Hickory, NC Traditional Championships. On the raffle table were, not one, but two of Pat B's fine bows. One he donated, and one some other generous person donated. Also a lov-er-ly Osage stave (from TN) with a (matching) natural reflex at both ends and a little character - I could just see my "next" bow in it. Between those two bows from Pat (especially the Mulberry), and the "stave of my dreams", I blew my budget (and beyond) for the Spring Season - LOL - I had tickets coming out of all pockets - and I never even got a smell of any of those sweet items  :'(  In spite of that, what a great shoot, and primitive bows were well represented there in that glotrious place in the foothills/mountains. I also got to see a huge rack of bows by Pat B, and his camping mates - what a feast for the eyes - and I forgot to take a picture of that impressive rack at their camp  ::) - I'm so sorry, guys 'n gals :-[.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:32:15 am by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Near Miss
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:25 pm »
It was good to meet you in person, Bernie. I was the same way with the raffle, I've put a pickup truckload of tickets in that raffle over the years and haven't won a thing yet.  :'(  I put like thirty tickets on that groundhog target and figured I had a good chance, but my luck with raffles is horrible. I did get a chance to talk to the lady who won Pat's mulberry bow, and she was tickled to death with it. 
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:29:45 am »
Bernie, It was great to see you again. I don't know if you noticed but the other bow...I put the antler tip nocks on backwards. That little hickory backed ERC bow is a great little shooter.  The Hickory shoot is my home base so you can expect me there each year as long as I am able. We didn't hang around for the raffle but when I got home I had an e-mail from the woman whose son won the little mulberry bow. I think she wants me to make her a bow. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:23:43 am »
I thought I had posted this thread under "Bows" (but I guess i messed up) and then I got to thinking it should be in Shooting, came back and couldn't find it anywhere so figured it got deleted or I had done like I do every now and then and hit the "close" button instead of "Post". I just now saw it here and glad the Admin was smarter/swifter than i am sometimes -  :D Thanks for helping me out.

I know what you mean HB but then sometimes I am real lucky. I won Bill Stroups hand made woodies last year at ATAR (which I've been trying to do for years - LOL) and one time up there I won about 5 things, as I recall. Won a Sissipaha Red Hat at Hickory year before last too. I really wanted that bow of Pat's and/or that sweet Osage stave though - but i guess I just wanted them too bad -LOL

Glad you got some feedback on that, Pat, that's nice.

Again, sorry about the stumble-fingered mis-post, Admin.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:59:11 pm »
Y'all keep playing dodge ball with this, and we are all gonna be dizzier than a drunken sailor -  :D

Here is a pic of that nice box of wood that Pat brought me - so's you'll know i ain't just spoofin'  to get a "ride around town"-  ;):

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:15:07 pm »
  Sorry Bernie, I thought you would be closer to the topic down here. Heck, it wasn't really about missing a shot with a bow?  ::) I started to move it to Flintknapping just for grins ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ber643

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:28:35 pm »
 ;D Ya I guess that'd work too. I really wasn't "on" for anything, was I? (Sometimes I tend to ramble a lot  ;))

Ah, found where I should have put this - should have just tagged into the Hickory shoot thread - DUH! I'll know where to look next time.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:52:09 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:40:26 am »
Bernie I hate I did not get to kknow yo a little better at the Hickory shoot. Forgive my rudeness. You said we talked a little. Hope I was at least polite . Next time we meet smack me and then I will know it is you. On second thought just say hey ya big dummy Its me Bernie ;D
T.J.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline ber643

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:19:13 am »
LOL - Yowsa, I'll just reach way up there and smack you a good one, nugget (and then run like a scalded little, old cat)  :D

Not sure I'm as "quick" as i used to be ........ think maybe I'll shake yer paw instead  ;)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:33:35 am »
Works for me ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline ber643

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 08:34:52 am »
 :D Sounds like a deal, then.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC